8.5 Gb DVD-RW media really exist?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bernard111, Dec 16, 2005.

1. The Dual Layer CD-ROM is quite common component of our PCs, but do 8.5 Gb DVD-RW media really exist?

I can only find 8.5 GB DVD-R (read) only on sale.
    :confused:

2. MRWSM

MRWSM

Even if you found it, it would not be cost effective. DL DVD-R are already $2.30 each when you can get regular DVD-R at 0.35 each.

3. Hey, who cares about DVD-Rs cuz its a thing of the past. Next year Sony will release the Blue-Ray disc which will hold about 50 Gb per disc, and then shortly after that another company will release another CD type disc that can hold 1.5 Terabyte on a single CD. So buying old technology that will be surpassed by such a wide margin is hardly worth it....

4. humm, looking around a bit more now. I don't see a RW optional - anywhere. I really question if it exists.

These guys don't even mention that option and they make it!

http://www.dvdrw.com/

5. Looks like that's it. Interesting. Here's another link.

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2005/04/04/jvc_dual-layer_dvd-rw/

"However, at a recent roadmap update presented at the CeBIT show, no timetable was given for the appearance of dual-layer DVD+RW discs and drives."

It looks like "plain old" DL -R/+R drives are the only ones available.

6. By the time this crap comes out with DVD-RW DL disc and drives, the Sony Blue-ray disc and the 1.5 Terabyte disc would be out. One 1.5 TB disc is equivalent to about almost 320 DVD-Rs. Impressive isn't it? That could make way for the future of the entertainment industry. Think of what that means for movies... a holographic movie right in your living room instead of on a screen. Its now possible to think of such a thing because there's enough space on a single disc now to store that kind of information, which was not possible with a 4.7 Gb DVD.

7. MRWSM

MRWSM

At least they're making it backwards compatible to DVD's. So we can still watch our old DVD movies in a Blu Ray player. One site talks about 1.5 Exabyte discs. LOL

8. What the heck is a Exobite disc... it sounds like health food... yuck....

#10     Dec 16, 2005