75 percent margin on Leaps?

Discussion in 'Options' started by nravo, Sep 21, 2007.

1. nravo

nravo

A couple years ago, there was proposal floating around to allow 75 percent down on Leap purchases. Anything ever come of this or will come of this?

2. Div_Arb

Div_Arb

I trade LEAPS quite frequently and I have heard nothing of this. Perhaps the new portfolio margining rules took this proposal off the table. Why don;t you give your trading desk a call and see what they say?

3. spindr0

spindr0

Long Call – more than 9 months until expiration

Initial margin requirement:
    75% of the total cost of the call(s)

after position is established, ongoing maintenance margin requirement applies and an increase_(or decrease) in the margin required is possible

at 9 months before expiration and afterwards, long calls no longer have value for margin equity purposes

4. nravo

nravo

I just checked IB's margin regs and long call is a long call regardless of time -- and requires 100% down. You know of a broker that allows 75% down for long-dated calls? Is this even allowed?

5. spindr0

spindr0

Brokers can require higher margin requirements than Reg T... and I don't know what other brokers, if any, offer this.

Is this even allowed? The info that I posted came from the CBOE's web site. If they're wrong, is anything right?

6. nravo

nravo

Just to repeat. Does anyone know of a broker that allows 75 percent margin on Leaps?