7 tips to be a good trader

Discussion in 'Trading' started by fortuna, Dec 18, 2005.

1. fortuna

fortuna

Sixth tip

Buy high volatility and sell low volatility

At first step junior option traders aim to sell very high volatility (this high volatility is there for a reason which early or late you will unfortunately learn)

Inversely low volatily are allways the highest risk reward for sale; check before that no earnings are coming , dividends, special news, trials or whatsoever. If u want to sell option study carefully the diary

Sorry if I don't respond to your desire for more details (I don't intend to tell u exactly how to do): if u work hard u 'll find by yourself (and u'll get more fun:p

#31     Dec 20, 2005
  2. fortuna

fortuna

Seventh tip

When trading futures , arbitrage between european, nikkei et us futures during globex.

For instance during european time, if a trend is being underway u very often have time to enter in the us future (allways a lag). However at a certain point every zone/country has its own resistance/support and u should respect them (This is also a very valuable tip)

The most profitable one (the nikkei : may be because I am the only one who does it :confused: )

Bibibibibibi

only 3 more tips

#32     Dec 22, 2005
  3. fortuna

fortuna

Eight tip

I'm back
    for the last 3 tips.

This one is the most important to make a difference with others

When u feel u have a strong edge in a trade, strong risk reward , don't diversify, put all your money in it,

I personnally use a maximum leverage of something like 15 to 1 to my own assets,

For instance I have been and still am extremely bullish on the Nasdaq 100 for the next 2 years (it could double), Ibought some call NDX June 06 strike 1900 for a notionnal amount of 20 times my fortune, but it cost me only 2.5% of my assets

have a nice holyday

#33     Jan 15, 2006
  4. doublea

doublea

Is buying low delta options same as buying high volatility? Thanks.

#34     Jan 15, 2006
  5. cnms2

cnms2

No. Look up / google for their definitions.

#35     Jan 15, 2006
  6. cnms2

cnms2

Sorry, but I think this is a recipe for disaster ...

Also, I'd be very surprised if your prediction on Nasdaq came true. But it doesn't matter if I am wrong because I won't take such a high risk as you recommend, and I'll adjust as conditions'll indicate.

#36     Jan 15, 2006
  7. You clearly missed the strong risk reward part of his sentence.

#37     Jan 15, 2006
  8. cnms2

cnms2

fortuna wrote "When u feel u have a strong edge in a trade, strong risk reward , don't diversify, put all your money in it".

In my opinion: trading based on your feelings is a recipe for disaster. More: the odds of getting wiped out get very high when you don't observe money management.

Following fortuna's tip/recommendation could cause a lot of pain to unaware newbies that don't have yet the capability to sift through trading gurus' recommendations.

#38     Jan 15, 2006
  9. Thank you for all the tips especially for the arbitrage between index future contracts at different time zone. I noted you mention buying high or low volatility.

Is the instrument you mentioned considered a second derivative? and what would be the appropriate symbol for trading it?

thanks

#39     Jan 15, 2006
  10. These are good posts, very helpful. This is why I come to this forum so often.

#40     Jan 15, 2006