7 feb 2006 brutal yen correction, any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Forex' started by 2cents, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Chood

Chood

Yesterday afternoon was US treasuries auction, apparently softly bid by foreign central banks.

#11     Feb 8, 2006
  2. OfmY

OfmY

Today is 30-YEAR BONDS ACTION.

Don't remember when there was such last.

#12     Feb 9, 2006
  3. OfmY

OfmY

[The 30-year Treasury auction drew an impressive 65.4% indirect bid. Coupled with the encouraging 4.8% indirect bid at Wednesday's 10-year auction this suggests overseas demand for US assets remains strong. The bid/cover ratio was 2.05 - in line with the 2001 average.]

#13     Feb 9, 2006
  4. interesting... is issuance contracting or expanding overall in these sort of (10+ yrs) maturities? at current LT rates level, its kinda surprising to see so much interest from foreign buyers, isn't it?

#14     Feb 9, 2006
  5. ok this time its clear who's the chicken, who's the egg... looking at the charts around JP CGPI, then Machine Orders figures time, the correl with XAU index move points towards JP trust banks dumping gold for yen on the TOCOM... trouble is, this is done via $, which creates sizeable $ longs on the books of the FCMs/counterparties, and they in turn need to rebalance their books presto, therefore selling as many $ as required to move back to whatever $ gbp eur weightings they r comfortable with ahead of GE CPI & US TB figures later today...

or at least thats a fairly plausible (micro-)scenario to me... would also take care of what happened on Feb 7 and in mid-december...

SethArb if u watching, any comment? i am not equipped to track / chart TOCOM intra-day times & sales, can u help?

#15     Feb 10, 2006
  6. OfmY

OfmY

Don't actually understand what you mean by contracting or expanding but I expected such unusual indirect bid, i.e. very high or very low because it's been first issuance since August 2001. Such indirect bid means that an overseas demand is still ready to absorb US rising appetites.

#16     Feb 10, 2006
  7. its about the yield curve - which is a bit of a concern these days - and things that may have an impact on it, or things it may have an impact on. i wish i were on top of all this stuff and how it is likely to unfold but... still digesting... just food for thought ;-)

#17     Feb 10, 2006
  8. the links / urls i had provided and that provide an excellent basis for discussion 20 minutes ago have been removed by mod TL Trader on concern that they may consitute some form of advertising... therefore my post makes no sense... and i'll just leave it at that... pm me if u believe i may have been posting sthg of value...

cheers all!

#18     Feb 10, 2006
  9. mistake, wrong URL... i tried to correct & provide the right URL but moderator deleted my post... anyway this forum is not particularly difficult to find if u know how to search... cheers

#19     Feb 11, 2006