6E vs eurusd nfp release (news) trading

Discussion in 'Forex' started by Wallace, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Huh?? Why would you pay 10 times the spread in a spot transaction?

There are some other advantages: the CME fx contracts only trade 23 hours a day, whereas spot trades 24 - this incurs gap risk for o/n futures positions. The market is usually quiet during this period, but there have been significant moves in the past.

Also there are only 6 liquid fx futures, if you want to trade i.e. eur/jpy you are out of luck.

But yes i agree, the CME is not a bad choice if you only want to trade the majors pairs.

#11     Aug 12, 2009
  2. Pippi436: shouldn't have written it 'x 10' - i was thinking of mini lots instead of lots

yes the 1 hour closure means being out of the market or risk holding 'overnight'
    without being able to close a position

there's a couple of other differences

one is that fx brokers usually have overloss prevention and while Globex is electronic
    and thereby computer programs, for some reason futures brokers don't provide the
    same overloss prevention

another is one that terrifies me slightly that the data feed at Globex or the broker
    servers etc goes down and one either has to go to the pit where the margin is
    $2,500 per day trade contract - out of luck if the feed goes down after hours - or
    one can cover oneself with an additional trading account with an fx broker
    that would also apply if one's isp feed, computer goes down

fxcm has had 2 outages i know of, one was the North East power failure in 2004 ?
    that also disabled phones, but as fxcm has branches in other countries one could
    access one's account that way. the other problem they had was clients not being
    able to login to the trading station, a 'switching on the server' problem i think that
    they said they solved. fxcm also said they'd make good on any trade problems
    that resulted from login failure and it's something they at least can do, not sure
    about other fx brokers, or if Globex or futures brokers compensate clients if and
    when a similar problem occurs

#12     Aug 13, 2009
  3. Dominic

Dominic

Anyone know if 6E opens this Sunday afternoon at 3:00 pm est or closed??

#13     Sep 6, 2009
  4. #14     Sep 6, 2009
  5. Dominic

Dominic

I guess my answer is that its not; thanks for the link!

#15     Sep 6, 2009
  6. I think Amp has this rate, but Mirus has the higher rate posted above, non negoitable. Seems like Amp is cheaper while Mirus has better service. Infinity seems to be cheaper yet. Difficult to choose...

#16     Sep 13, 2009
  7. What's the worst thing that could possibly happen? My stop would get it. Well that happens every day so it's no big deal.

#17     Sep 20, 2009
  8. Would you suggest fx futures traders to always flatten before 5pm est to avoid the gap risk?

What are the 6 liquid fx futures? Euro, Pound, Aussie, Loonie, Yen, and Franc? Seems like the 6E is the most liquid and technically traded intraday?

#18     Dec 12, 2009
  9. Whether you flatten or not depends on your strategy. If you have a strategy to profit from an overnight hold then by all means hold it overnight. :)

As for the liquid futures, 6E is the most liquid. I would suggest sticking to 6E before attempting the others, you might not even need them.

#19     Dec 12, 2009
  10. I meant just flattening just before the 5pm est currency futures close to avoid gap risk/re-entering stops, after that overnight during europe hours seems to have the biggest moves and volatility, seems like a nice time to trade 6E and 6B.

Why do you recommend 6E first?

I do like 6E as well, being the most liquid. Though its a big contract for a beginner/small account, I am trading 6B for now. What advantages would you say 6E has over 6B?

#20     Dec 12, 2009