67 % Americans unhappy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nutmeg, May 23, 2008.

1. Sad indeed, but those are decisions you are living with.

What would Gore have done? None of us knows for sure, but he was a member of the Clinton Administration and I can only surmise that he was in agreement with Clinton's general policies. In that regard, Barton Gellman reported in a series of articles in the Washington Post that "By any measure available, Clinton left office having given greater priority to terrorism than any president before him." He further reported that Clinton's was the first administration to undertake a systematic anti-terrorist effort. And you well know that Clarke blew the whistle on the Bush Administration for dropping the ball that was placed in their hands when Bush assumed the presidency. Here is a Google search from which you can choose your own sources:

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q...+broad+effort+launched+after+98+attacks&meta=

And yet, the Republicans not only dropped the ball but blamed Clinton because he supposedly had not done enough! However, before Clinton left office, Robert Oakley, who served as ambassador for counterterrorism in the Reagan State Department, told the Washington Post this about the Clinton Administration: "Overall, I give them very high marks." Even Paul Bremer told the Post he believed that the Clinton Administration had "correctly focused on bin Laden."

So, yes, we don't know what Gore would have done, but I'm guessing that he would have followed through with Clinton's decision to destroy al Qaeda after the terrorists attacked the USS Cole on October 12, 2000. That was when Clinton put Richard Clarke in charge of coming up with a plan to take them out. The plan that was given to Bush and which was subsequently ignored. And yet some Republicans blamed Clinton.

Oddly enough, 38 days after Clinton took office and the World Trade Center was attacked the first time, I don't recall anyone blaming Clinton's predecessor, Bush Sr. Do you?

Oh, and another thing. Bush began lying almost from Day One. At the 2000 Republican National Convention in Philadelphia, Bush said, "If called on by the commander in chief today, two entire divisions of the Army would have to report, 'Not ready for duty, sir.'" That was BULLSHIT and countered by the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Hugh Shelton, by Defense Secretary William Cohen and even Bush's own foreign policy advisor at the time, Richard Armitage who confirmed it a few days later at a hearing of the Senate Arms Service Committee.

You probably didn't vote for Gore because he had been accused by the Republican propoganda machine that he was a serial exaggerator, and Kerry because he was characterized as a flip-flopper. Neither allegation had any merit. The evidence is there if you look for it, but it is neatly compiled in Franken's two books that I had mentioned earlier, with references. The person who probably helped you make your decision was Machiavelli's evil spawn, Karl Rove, whose nuts should be kicked in and then taken away from him. His modus operandi was to take an adversary's very strengths and spin them into weaknesses through distortion and misinformation. Two things come to mind here. First, if you have to lie about someone else to win, then maybe you don't have all that much to offer. Second, Bush should be judged by the company he kept and the advice that he chose to take.

I don't know for certain what Gore or Kerry would have done. But I suspect that they would have consulted with people who are experts in their fields and then made considered responses. I have more faith in people who are able to think rather than only "believe."

#21     May 25, 2008
  2. jem

jem

no actually - I could not vote for a guy who was part of administration who sold or allowed national security secrets to go to china and then later sent in it officials to steal records from archives.

And franken's book must be full of shit because I saw reports on public television which said clinton had multiple opportunites to get bin laden and backed down.

I did not vote for Kerry because I spoke with too many vets who explained to me a true scumbag he was. And these were anti war activists democrat types.

Gore was iffy. In retrospect I should have voted for him.

Kerry does not deserve to be in office - any office.

#22     May 28, 2008