65% win ratio with 1:1 risk/reward?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by BillySimas, Jun 23, 2008.

1. gnome

gnome

#11     Jun 23, 2008
  2. lindq

lindq

Difficult, but certainly not impossible. If the point of your post is to get some confirmation that 65% is doable with a 1:1 ratio, then yes, it is.

Typically numbers like that would indicate that you have an equal target and stop, and that you've got a little edge in your entry criteria.

Just keep doing what you're doing and don't spend it all in one place.

#12     Jun 23, 2008
  3. Yes yes you don't "know" anything, you have made your point sir.

#13     Jun 23, 2008
  4. I do have issues second guessing every strategy I try to implement, and it makes perfect sense that a good portion of an edge is always going to be extracted from an exit as opposed to just an entry but my results so far are a bit too good to pass up, I have only had one losing day in the last few weeks.

#14     Jun 23, 2008
  5. epetrov

epetrov

Hi Trackstar,
    what's your current % wins and average P/L, if not a sercet?

#15     Jun 23, 2008
  6. One of the few numbers that you can control is the distance from your protective (pro) stop and your limit entry.
    This is why it is important to correctly place your pro stop first and then locate your limit entry second.
    This, together with your exit will control your R:R which at it's current value of 1 is far too small for my taste.

Anyway, the first thing is to get a good consistent low risk entry going and then address the exit.

BTW you have probably just cut yourself
    off from a good source of knowledge ... gnome

regards
    f9

#16     Jun 23, 2008
  7. I'm really not following you. The stop distance is a function of the limit order. They are entered together, along with the exit. There is nothing subjective about it.

#17     Jun 23, 2008
  8. oh billy...quit being closed minded and try to get what he is saying. it's not that hard.

#18     Jun 23, 2008

9. BillyS,
    Your entry risk is the distance between your entry and your protective stop.
    It is for you to decide what this risk value will be.

ie if a good protective position in the buy zone is 19.75 and you decide that your risk will be 0.75 then your buy stop is 20.50

If you are filled at 20.50 your pro stop will automatically be entered at 19.75, thus limiting your risk to 0.75

regards
    f9

#19     Jun 23, 2008
  10. We're getting way off track here. The initial post was to ask if it is a common scenario to use a 1:1 risk-to-reward setup and expect a 65% win rate. Is anyone employing a similar strategy? If so, it would be great to hear about it. This is purely based on 100% measurable past data. Has anyone found similar data?

#20     Jun 23, 2008