64-bit vs 32-bit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Synonym, Oct 2, 2008.

1. I'm not sure one more limitation has been pointed out:

On 32bit XP each process (application) can only address up to 2 GB. There's a special trick to get it to 3 GB, but that requires a specially created executable and a custom configured kernel.

32bit XP can address a total of 4 GB, with all applications sharing a maximum of 3 GB.

On 32bit XP with Java 1.5, the process limitation actually means that a JVM typically cannot address more than about 1.1 GB of memory.

I'll be experimenting with 64 bit OS on my XEON systems to see how well Java performs.

#31     Oct 3, 2008
  2. I would also avoid using windows server editions for workstation use. You will need to put in effort to convert settings to your needs as a standard computer user. XP and Vista have the advantage that they are configured by default to match most of your needs. Especially if you don't know that much about computers, avoid the server editions for workstation use. Also don't believe that the server editions are more stable; e.g. Windows Server 2008 shares the same core as Vista SP1. It's just in the settings and added software aimed at server use that make the difference.

#32     Oct 3, 2008
  3. I run WinXP Pro X64 and I love it.

I have run java on every type machine imaginable and it's junk; I don't know why anyone would trade on java today.

I also don't understand why people buy "downgrades." To me that seems like too much patching and hacking to attempt to achieve the desired result. A fresh XP install beats a XP over Vista anyday.

#33     Oct 3, 2008
  4. gnome

gnome

Whoa, that WOULD be a mess... but it's not an overwrite of Vista by XP but rather the right to run XP after having paid for a Vista license.

#34     Oct 4, 2008
  5. Yep, I just put XP64 on a machine I put together and it works like a champ. No problems with drivers etc.... Mind you, I'm using all new stuff.

#35     Oct 4, 2008
  6. Thank you for the clarification Gnome. I took "downgrade" to be similar to "upgrade" where one buys a Win95 disc to upgrade from Win3.1.

Live and learn!

So it's just a money scam and not a OS hack. Glad to know how the schiesters operate.

#36     Oct 4, 2008
  7. gnome

gnome

XPx64 is something you need to be committed to.

A few apps and some utility programs won't work with it. Some hardware, too... especially if it's too old.

But if you can find substitution apps when required and do without a few utilities (or find subs) and are willing to buy new hardware if required (printer, audio card, video card, etc.)... then x64 is quite good.. and FAST!... on 64bit apps. Plenty of good reason to give it a try if you're so inclined. If all of your stuff works on it, you WILL like it. (When I did the Windows update, I'd turned away to do a little something else and when I turned back it looked like it was finished. I thought, "couldn't be THAT fast"... but it is!)

I messed with it for a while. 6-monitor desktop was perfect. All of my major apps worked (32bit emulator is seamless), a few utilities didn't have x64 versions, my printer and audio card were too old. I didn't want to replace those things so I've stayed with 32bit.

FWIW...

#37     Oct 4, 2008
  8. Good point gnome.

The best OS I've ever used is Windows Server 2008 x64. Fast responsive (like vista could be one day) and pretty.

But. A number of my favourite apps don't work and the drivers for my logitech marblemouse don't work nearly as well as with XP 32. So sadly, I have returned to old faithful at least until those issues can be resolved.

#38     Oct 4, 2008
  9. On WinXP X64 you can run X32 applications. There are two program file folders, one for 64 bit and one for 32 bit.

While there are programs which will not run in 64 bit "mode" on a X64 system, all programs will run on a system that is 64 bit even if they run in 32 bit "mode."

#39     Oct 4, 2008
  10. i have both XP and Vista X64 SP1 on my computer, each on separate hard drives with a RAID 0 Data Drive. . so I can go back and forth at any time, with testing. I built it myself. I recommend building your own, slowly, with a good components, and it will be far cheaper than pre built

my tower has 8 GIGS ram, and Vista x64 with 8 gigs is nice. . . fast and stable. . however, you have to be a bit of a geek to get the right drivers installed, and be able to trouble shoot some unexpected results. .

other than that. . it runs just about everything 32 in emulation and any 64 but native software. . .

sportguy

#40     Oct 4, 2008