64-bit vs 32-bit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Synonym, Oct 2, 2008.

1. 1) Check that your motherboard-CPU-chipset /videocards/etc support x64 drivers;

2) check that your favorite trading application runs on a so-called WOW64 enviroment under x64 OS (for example TT X_Trader works under Windows Pro XP x64);

3) check additional software and peripheral supports x64 OSes.

4) choose OS between:

a) Windows XP Pro x64;

b) Windows 2003 server 64bit 'converted' into workstation so it runs on less resources;

or

c) if you are a pioneer install Windows 2008 server and convert into a workstation:
    http://www.win2008workstation.com/wordpress/
    :D

b and c options could cost you a lot in terms of OS license....

#11     Oct 2, 2008
  2. I run Ninja Trader, no problems with it.

In fact, no problems at all with any piece of software.

Daniel

#12     Oct 2, 2008
  3. Tums

Tums

MultiCharts runs well. I am quite happy with the program.
    MultiCharts is in constant development... They are adding new features every month. Some of the advanced functionalities (eg. autotrade) are still in beta. i.e. you might experience some teething pain if you are at the leading edge. Otherwise the program is rock solid.

#13     Oct 2, 2008
  4. Tums

Tums

Can you post a screen shot of your Task Manager?

#14     Oct 2, 2008
  5. Synonym

Synonym

HI All

thanks for your posts.

Tums thanks for the insight on MC and the advice on checking how my memory usage is going - unfortunately, with my current system i hardly have enough power to run the programs i need simultaneously, so i can't really got an idea of how much ram is enough. But from what you have said, 3-4gb should be fine for now.

These are the first posts i've made on ET - how do you insert a quote from another person's post? I can't see an option on the post reply page...

#15     Oct 3, 2008
  6. mokwit

mokwit

Tums, Can you elaborate on "there are utilities that can help if you are desperate"

I am on the verge of desparation as I have max 2GB RAM available on my scanning PC and with the 4000 symbols I run it is just going over the 2 GB RAM and presumably writing to the HDD.

As I am just on the threshold one of the utilities you mention might be just what I need.

#16     Oct 3, 2008
  7. Do you see the links on the bottom right of each person's post, "Edit, Quote, Complain"? Use the quote link.

#17     Oct 3, 2008
  8. mokwit

mokwit

Just to make sure I have understood this right: If you run a 32 bit program e.g TS2000i under XP64 with 8GB of RAM TS2000i will only be able to access the 32 bit blimit of 4GB? (in addition to running at 32 not 64 bit speed obviously).

#18     Oct 3, 2008
  9. Synonym

Synonym

Thanks for pointing out the bloody obviously to me!! :D

#19     Oct 3, 2008
  10. gnome

gnome

Mostly correct. In fact, you'll only be using 3G of RAM... and then ONLY if the app is specifically written to use 3G. Otherwise, you'll only use 2G. Most apps do not utilize 3G. (I'm pretty sure about this, but not 100%... somebody will straighten us out if not.. ) :D

#20     Oct 3, 2008