61.8 % FR within the first 30 min bar revisited

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by wally_, Dec 27, 2002.

1. I've found that for trend days (2 or 3 days a week) the 24 hours data shows up the trend direction long before the open, and many times I've been open about 2 hours premarket and as a consequence increased my haul on the day by 3 or 4 points...

Also I've had many occasions where I've take the position at the open with a modest stop and held till end of day because I could see the trend from the 24 hr data which was masked in the normal day data.

True, but then that is more than made up for by the advantages above. And anyway, keeping a chart window open for the big one alongside the ES deals with that eventuality.

I've found the reverse to be true. It's the price gap at open that skews the indicators and the bigger the gap the bigger the skew. That is one of the biggest drawbacks of using only the actual trading day data instead of 24 hour data. If you look at the Europeans (especially FTSE where price gaps between open and prev. close are regular and large) you will quickly see exactly what I'm talking about - most indicators are next to useless intraday before lunchtime...

The world might not, (come to that neither do I) but what about all those American companies that are dual listed (or sometimes list in 3 or 4 markets) and the pricing coming from the dual listings certainly effects the opening prices of all those stocks. Some companies are listed so that they trade 24 hours a day, and that does have an effect. And what about the hurt caused by repatriation of European funds out of US comapnies and the Dollar?

Agreed. Americans prefer to move thousands of miles for the privilege (evidence the numbers of US nationals in all the major financial centres throughout the world... ) :)

So - I would say there are advantages and disadvantages to using 24hr data just as there are from using just the normal trading hours data, and it is far from clear cut....

Peace Mon ami. :)

Natalie

#21     Dec 29, 2002
  2. Now here's one that often gets asked. How do you quote just a section of a post and reply to it, then quote another section with another reply?

And some can reply to multiple posters with this technique.

How do you do it?

profitseer (decrepit old manpower)

#22     Dec 29, 2002
  3. You use certain codes to start and end the quotes.

They go inside square brackets [ ]

Then you use

start .................................................. End

QUOTE ................................................./QUOTE (the slash turns it off)

B (FOR BOLD) ............................................ /B
    i (for italics) .............................................../i

etc.

You can insert colours and all sorts if you know the codes.

You will see it if you look at some of the posts and look at the codes use by using reply with quote and then studying it...

Regards
    Natalie

#23     Dec 29, 2002