6 screens at 4k

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by just21, Jun 13, 2012.

1. just21

just21

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/...irepro-w600-digital-wall-graphics-card/20770?

AMD releases next-gen FirePro W600 'digital wall' graphics card
    By Adrian Kingsley-Hughes | June 13, 2012, 7:42am PDT

Summary: The FirePro W600 is capable of powering up to six screens or displays thanks to the mini DisplayPort connectors - and supports a maximum resolution of 4096 x 2304 per screen or projector.

AMD has released a new graphics card in the FirePro professional range designed specifically for powering digital walls.

The FirePro W600 professional graphics is AMD’s first professional graphics card to make use of the company’s 28-nanometer architecture and Graphics Core Next - technology previously found on the Radeon HD 7000 series graphics products.

AMD describes the FirePro W600 as “the ideal solution for powering display walls designed to attract, inform and engage audiences or foster collaborative interaction and decision making”.

The FirePro W600 is capable of powering up to six screens or displays thanks to mini DisplayPort connectors, and supports a maximum resolution of 4096 x 2304 per screen or projector. Two FirePro W600 graphics cards can be combined to drive up to 12 displays.

The card includes 2GB of RAM and can decode two simultaneous HD video streams. However, despite this power, the card only takes up a single slot in a PC and has a maximum power consumption set at a very modest 75W.

“Whether we are checking flight times at the airport or watching the latest ads on massive screens in city squares, digital signage has quickly become an important and ubiquitous part of our lives,” said Matt Skynner, corporate vice president and general manager of AMD Graphics. “To enable these displays, the digital signage industry demands technology that can be regularly refreshed with new, feature-rich content. With the launch of the AMD FirePro W600 professional graphics card, AMD is helping advance the digital display wall industry by providing suppliers and developers with impressive display density, performance and exceptional value.”

The FirePro W600 is priced at $599 and is available immediately.

2. eurojack

eurojack

I wouldn't touch it with a stick. When it comes to graphics cards, it's ATI or nothing. There are ATI eyefinity cards on the market since 2009 (5870). If you need 6 monitors go with either a graphics card that has 6 outputs (a lot of money) or two cheap-o-rama ($30/pop) cards with 3 outputs each. AMD and graphics = haha.

3. Dummy ATI IS AMD (you must have slept).

4. ATI is an AMD brand :)

5. just21

just21

This graphics card has six outputs and costs $599

6. Not a bad card , though definitely not made for trading - they really target HUGH display walls with this one. I wonder whether it has not a little too little memory.... but then, running any high power 4d stuff at THAT resolution makes little sense with those processor anyway. Shoul d be more than good for all the displays... but not a trader's desk.... there it has the wong focus.

As other said. Eyefinity 6 ;)

7. just21

just21

I am waiting anxiously for the 4k screens to arrive. Just think how many charts you can get up on one of those. Needs windows 8 to arrive first.

8. The ultra high resolution of 4096 x 2304 per screen is only meaningful if you have a monitor that supports it. At today's prices, getting such a monitor would cost much more than the 1:6 graphics card itself. Let alone having 6 of them.

9. eurojack

eurojack

I meant to write GTX not ATI! NVIDIA currently runs the whole scene. Eyefinity cards are out there since 2k9 like I said and spending $600 for a graphics is stupid unless you have too much of it.

Second, for trading you do NOT need eyefinity 6 because it's a big waste of money. Such cards are meant for gaming and video editing, not for office work. For trading you need two $30 graphics cards to hook up 6 monitors.

Third, LCD TVs don't offer the resolution needed to display details properly, they're fine for watching videos but not for displaying text. Personally I would choose 3 22" monitors over a 60" LCD TV/monitors any time! You have much better resolution and more space. You can place monitors however you like while with a one giant screen your options are non-existent.

There are also solutions like matrox for connecting multiple monitors.

pc $200
    2x radeons $60
    7x 22" monitors $800
    some converters $50
    ---------
    ~$1100

There you have it, for roughly $1100 you have the ultimate trading setup. 6 monitors for watching charts (3 on each graphics card) and one monitor for placing trades (hooked on integrated graphics card). Buy yourself a second PC for online work/gaming/whatever with $600 firepro or $1000 gtx 690.

10. I beg to disagree, this card definitely has more juice than any trading desk ever needed. Depends on the driver set though, not sure the drivers fully support Linux environments or just Windows.

But agree the focus is definitely a different target group...

#10     Jun 17, 2012