6:1 margin for overnight stock positions at InteractiveBrokers

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by maos, May 10, 2007.

Do you want IB to allow portfolio margin for accounts <100,000$

1. Yes

77 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. No

54 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. ids

ids

I am happy that we are on the same page now. OCC-based haircuts dictate a minimum reqirement. Each broker applies its own additional safeguards that must be approved by regulators. There is nothing to argue about.

#111     Feb 7, 2008
  2. opt789

opt789

No problem whatsoever. Good luck to you.

#112     Feb 7, 2008
  3. IB vs, THINKORSWIM..........PORTFOLIO MARGIN ....UPDATE PLEASE....WHO HAS THE BETTER PROGRAM FOR TRADER WITH $400K SPREAD ACROSS 20 POSITIONS?????

#113     May 5, 2009
  4. asterisk

asterisk

ids 05-16-07 02:37 AM: "It does not work like that. It is not easy to jump off PM account."

How difficult is it to jump off? I have read http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/p.php?f=margin. I see where it says It should be noted that "if your account drops below USD 100,000 you will be restricted from doing any margin-increasing trades. Therefore if you do not intend to maintain at least USD 100,000 in your account, you should not apply for a Portfolio Margin account." Let's say I intend to maintain USD 100,000 (or more) in my account, but then someday there is an emergency and I need to withdraw a big chunk of money. How difficult would it be to revert back to Reg T margin?

#114     May 12, 2010
  5. what positions do you have? do you want more leverage or do you want the safety of a broker who won't let you over-lever yourself?

i have portfolio margin accounts with both brokers. for certain options positions, TOS's margin req calculations can be very volatile; i.e., it changes significantly by the second. IB's is more stable but their PM allows less leverage. TOS now uses risk endpoints of (-12%, +10%) on SPX/OEX, so they don't allow as much leverage as before. IB removes your expired options positions early on the friday of expiration; TOS doesn't until about 1pm EST that day.

bare in mind, these brokers have changed their PM calculations before, so what you find preferrable now may not be so later. i've had PM at IB since inception and they've changed it at least 5 times.

#115     May 14, 2010
  6. just go into your account management settings, then trading access. then select reg-t. there's not much to it.

#116     May 14, 2010
  7. NKNY

NKNY

correct... Ive heard that under portfolio margin you may end up with less margin then reg t if not hedged properly. This type of account is perfect for pairs traders and people who are hedged.

#117     May 16, 2010
  8. NKNY

NKNY

Interesting, what about etf correlations...

#118     May 16, 2010
  9. ids

ids

Some ETF correlations are recogized. For example, ultra-ETF vs. plain ETF or S&P vs. Dow.

#119     May 17, 2010