5GB for mobile trading

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Gcapman, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Surdo

Surdo

Won't it be a little awkward trading from the stairmaster?

:D

#11     Jul 25, 2010
  2. I dont think the bandwidth is the issue, its the platform. Netbooks have these ATOM processors which are real slow and the Netbook will overheat if not in a carefully controlled environment. Most netbooks get overly hot and they really slow down.

I would not get a notebook with anything less then a P6000 processor, preferably an I-5. I wouldnt touch an I-7 because the battery life is miserable. The dm4t laptop is a good choice with a 9-cell battery. That thing will go for about 8 hours.

I would also get a good fan or pad to be placed underneath the laptop. I am using a laptop right now with a T9900 processor which is about as fast as a top of the line I5. I can feel the heat coming off this thing and it does slow down to a complete stop if its in a room over 80 degrees.

As for the bandwidth, you can trade with a dialup connection and 56k modem. Thats not the issue.

#12     Jul 25, 2010
  3. If your in the US alot of cell phone companies offer unlimited data last time I checked. You could also add it on to your existing blackberry/iphone plan and tether. As for security Im running avast free.

#13     Jul 25, 2010
  4. The only cell phone company offering unlimited data is Sprint, if you're within their 4g network.

#14     Jul 25, 2010
  5. www.mysimplemobile.com offers plans for 60 dollars a month unlimited 3g access and unlimited phone. Starbucks, McDonalds and Dunkin Donuts offer free broadband access.

#15     Jul 25, 2010
  6. Gcapman

Gcapman

#16     Jul 26, 2010
  7. Not sure what kind of laptops overheat in 80 degree rooms, but I have a dell vostro 1400 and 1500 with core duos (2 years old), also two Toshibas, celerons (3 years old), and a lenovo P dual core (3 years old) I have run them all outside for hours on end at the pool in 100 degree South Carolina weather with no overheating. Just an observation...

EDIT: I am sure the venting in netbooks is much more limited then laptop, so it may be a lot different for those.

TT

#17     Jul 26, 2010
  8. My mistake. I was under thr impression that verizon and t-mobile did as well. Maybe in the past?

#18     Jul 26, 2010
  9. LeeD

LeeD

There are account password and computer password that allows remote access. I understand the onluy copy of the "computer" passoword is stored on the actual computer. Gotomypc.com never sees the unencrypted "computer" password. So, if anyone gains access to your gotomypc.com account they are still a long way off gaining remote access to your computer... unless you use an easy-to-guess password.

Stealing gotomypc password via WiFi is as difficult as stealing your credit card information whne you pay on a "secure" Web-site.

The most likely ways the password can be stolen are a) you have a keylogger installed; b) someone is watching from behind the shoulder while you enter the password.

#19     Jul 29, 2010
  10. You can even trade from a payphone.
    Once on a remote vacation resort, I rented a phone for a transfer.

If you are looking into charts you will lose.
    All those who use TA end up losing.

Can you trade with your equipment?
    Yes

Will you be profitable?
    No

#20     Jul 29, 2010