56k connection and real-time data feed.

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by luk122, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Plumlazy,

I have been considering satellite. Just curious, how fast is your order executions compared to a 56K dial-up?

#21     Dec 28, 2002
  2. stockerup

I would not get satellite for execution purposes. It seems to work well for recieving data but ping times are slower than 56k. My executions with IB over the phone line are very good but I think this has something to do with living in the country. My switching station is only a couple of blocks away so I am not fighting much traffic on the local lines.

#22     Dec 28, 2002

3. Stockerup,

If it's any slower at all - it's not more than 1/2 second.

My phone connection was terrible here. I live about 3 or 4 miles from the phone switching station.

I trade eminies (NQ) with ib's tws, my executions might be slowed by 1/2 second, might be a tiny bit more at times. I don't know.

What I do know is that my executions get filled plenty fast enough "for me". I use the direcway 2-way.

If I have a red day trading - I sure as heck can't and don't blame it on whether or not my execution time was a second or a half second slower than someone elses. ...lol

I only trade 1 contract, I don't much worry about half a second, now if I was trading 50 cars for 1/2 point es scalp maybe it would matter to me.

My phone lines really, really sucked. Easyriders phone lines might be a whole lot better. So what is best for one may or may not be best for another. So easyrider might be correct at what he is telling "You" and may not be better for "Me".

All I know is that I like the 2 way better than my dial-up - hands down.

Now that is not say that easyrider's advice is not good advice.
    I'm just saying that I don't get the disconnects that I had with the phone lines and I don't get the data extreme lags/stoppage even, that I had with the phone lines.

My upload seems to fine for "me" and "my" trading style and yes I can scalp with it.

#23     Dec 28, 2002