$5000 day, Is that what you would consider a good day?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by traderich, Feb 17, 2007.

Would you celebrate a $5000 day trading?

1. Yes, a 5 bagger is a huge day!

76 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. No, a 5 bagger is just an average good day

24 vote(s)
    16.8%
  3. No, a 5 bagger is nothing at all

19 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. Yes, a 5 bagger is enough to celebrate about!

24 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. MattF

MattF

A great day is whenever you go above whatever goals you have set.

#11     Feb 17, 2007
  2. $5,000 per day = 10 ER contracts @ +5pts

That is no big deal in a $50,000 account balance, when a given session has normal to high volatility or range.

A big deal is having your best month ever, followed by increasingly bigger months. Outlier days where we cannot make a mistake and price action is highly favorable are nice, but a steady living is not built on those.

Such glory days help pad the account, for sure. That said, it's the slow grind with more winning days than not, bigger wins than losses which make up consistently successful months. Keep your eye on the month... not any given day.

In this profession, no single day can make a career, but one terrible day can easily end a career :>)

Congrats on your steps to success!

#12     Feb 17, 2007
  3. i would say thats a great day on a $200k account. much less than that though i would have to start to question your risk management strategy.

#13     Feb 17, 2007
  4. I agree with the gentleman who suggested "blowup alert"

coming ... more than the other gentleman who suggested
    trading 10 contracts at a time is no big deal

unless one has really really "mastered" the market they are trading or found an "edge" that is working enough to do size

plus that the market they are trading allows them to do size
    and that the "dark side" does not attempt to crush them
    for doing that size ...

then better to grind it out and be happy they are staying positive
    every day or week on the road to market riches
    ( whatever that means )

:)

#14     Feb 17, 2007
  5. <i>"coming ... more than the other gentleman who suggested
    trading 10 contracts at a time is no big deal"</i>

A skilled emini trader can handle one contract per $5k balance. That is pretty much the same thing prop guys are doing with their $100k balance pushing several million $$ working capital.

Key word is "skilled". My initial stop on an ER trade is -$150 per contract, -$100 per contract ES. That is risking -2% of account balance in ES, -3% of balance in ER per trade.

Expected average profit / loss ratio is 2/1 balanced over time.

If an emini trader does not have comparable skill to manage account balance = trades like that, they should still be on sim trading (not one dime of real cash) until the mechanics are correct. Otherwise, a $3mil account balance will not be enough to avoid inevitable loss.

#15     Feb 17, 2007
  6. hi austin ... I agree with you except that there is alot less pressure in trading once contract than 10 no matter what the market

#16     Feb 17, 2007
  7. For sure, Seth! We're on the same page there :>)

I only meant to say that a fixed dollar goal like $5,000 daily is not the right brass ring. Depending on the trader, symbol and account balance it might be a personal record day, or one profitable trade turned.

The correct fixation is month over month performance. When a personal record month is followed soon by another, we're on the right track.

I myself place emphasis on quarterly performance and yearly performance... daily performance evaluation is too much self-imposed pressure for me.

#17     Feb 17, 2007
  8. RedDuke

RedDuke

Not really. Let's say you have 10K in the account and trade 1 contract. Now let's say you have 100K account and trade 10 contracts. Nothing changed, assuming you did not start with 100K account. As long as trading on 1 contract is mastered, all that remains is to gradually increase size, as capital increases, to the max # that market liquidity can handle.

Regards,
    redduke

#18     Feb 17, 2007
  9. RedDuke

RedDuke

Hi Traderich,

Gongrats! That a great thing to do, if you can average this sum per day.

redduke

#19     Feb 17, 2007
  10. $5000, Is that what you would consider a good day? No, thats what I would consider a good night out.

#20     Feb 17, 2007