$500+ a day trading index futures, possible?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by AHGChat, May 16, 2013.

1. Daal

Daal

If someone can make that much a day they are likely to be making more, ES is liquid enough to absorb a lot of size

#41     May 22, 2013
  2. Do many "traders" and or risk managers ask to pay you in profit splits for
    spreadprofessor" services. Only way I think it would work

If you can teach a person and they pay you along the program - fair. But just outright asking for lump sum payment, got to be tough. Unless your institution is a brand that indusry recognizes ?

If you did profit splits you would be very busy and the word would spread quick if consitently good results.

#42     May 22, 2013
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

This is a silly notion, because you could apply it to almost any amount. Obviously account size, psychological factors,etc. can limit one's ability to trade big...

#43     May 22, 2013
  4. bone

bone

The lump sum fee works best for my type of client - usually an experienced trader who wants to learn a niche specialty technique in order to add a revenue stream to his existing core competencies. I have a growing list of clients who eventually choose to stop scalping or day trading altogether. Even in the short term my typical client can make more money learning the new technique and not splitting it with me.

I think your point is valid for teaching new traders how to trade. But I do not personally take fresh newbies as clients.

#44     May 22, 2013
  5. What if I am interested in only one commodity /spreading and learning what you offer- its still 7500 bucks to find out ?

#45     May 22, 2013
  6. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Exactly.

Other factors that impact a consistently profitable trader's ability to make more profits via trading bigger...

1) Liquidity issues at certain times of the trading day.

2) The few profitable traders, many don't manage their profits properly after they bank it.

Make $500 per day via trading but spend $550 per day in your personal lifestyle...basically you're losing $50 per day. This is not just a trading issue, its an issue with most folks with any other job. Debt problems is a big issue all over the world for most folks with jobs.

3) The few profitable traders, many of them still don't have good money management skills when they encounter drawdowns. It's not uncommon to see profitable traders blowup after increasing their position size in highly liquid trading instruments.

4) Some index futures change liquidity levels from one year to another year for whatever reasons (e.g. internal exchange issues, margin changes). Anybody that's been trading the Russell 2000 Emini futures since its birth will understand...comparison from when it was known as Emini ER2 on the CME Exchange and now as Emini TF on the ICE Exchange.

That's why compounding is such a difficult thing to do for the few profitable traders out there...most folks got bills to pay or like to buy things when they realize their consistently profitable.

P.S. The above issues involving my commentary is about retail traders.

#46     May 22, 2013
  7. bone

bone

I only have an "ala carte" menu for professional trading firms, as those contracts are typically retainers or purchase orders focused for a specific task or strategy. And the billing is considerably more than $7500. Something very specific that the firm needs my expertise with.

I don't do that for individuals for a number of business and time management reasons.

Any other questions along this line please PM me.

#47     May 22, 2013
  8. chimera

chimera

no.....ok i guess if you have a $100k+ account it's possible some days.

But people entering trading/business in the hope of making a wage are kidding them-selves.

That's what jobs are for.

welcome to ups and downs!

#48     May 22, 2013
  9. It is realistic

I would suggest to avoid the E mini s&p and trade something that is not as choppy...such as the Russell

yesterday

[​IMG]

so far today and will probably call it quits -if you are interested in learning how to achieve this - PM me

[​IMG]

#49     May 23, 2013
  10. Sure... And just as you place your trade the trend reverses!:p

Been there done that... I've known pros who could take home +20K every month and then... nothing... Even for the pros it doesn't last.

You can make $500 a day in lots of ways but it doesn't last...

The easiest way to do it is to flip a coin and buy/sell the open... Wait to see where it closes... Risk $500 to make $500, by the end of the day you'll either be up $500 or down $500 but that's not really the point...

The question is whether or not making $500 a day is sustainable and the answer is obviously, no.

#50     May 23, 2013