50% stop loss on long options?

Discussion in 'Options' started by turkeyneck, Oct 9, 2009.

1. NoDoji

NoDoji

Yeah sometimes those "woulda couldas" haunt you for a while.

I had 80 Oct BRL calls in spring 2008 when the stock tanked on what I considered fundamentally irrelevant news. My plan was to hold them for several months (they were 5 months out) because I was certain the stock would retrace most of way back, but it would take some time. I sent my husband an email about the trade and said "this one will net us $120K before the fall".

Moved in my favor immediately and as soon as it started its first pullback a couple weeks later, I closed the position for an $8600 gain, figuring I'd take profits and get back in again when it retested that low.

It did retest that low while I was on vacation a little over a month later. A couple days after I got back BRL was bought out at a price $20 a share above my strike and would've netted us $144,000.

So do I pat myself on the back for taking the profits instead of letting the position draw down and holding/hoping?

Or do I smack myself for failing to trade the plan?

(Or do I tell myself that as a trader one should never take vacations unless one will have uninterrupted internet access?) :D

#11     Oct 10, 2009
  2. Your question is neither trival nor naive, too many people who trade options ( long or short ) lose every penny they put in.

As a rule for long options, your rule is very sensible as long as you can stick to it no matter what.

#12     Oct 10, 2009
  3. spindr0

spindr0

I had the same thought about being away on vacation without internet access. That gig is for investors :)

#13     Oct 11, 2009