50 pts in the ES

Discussion in 'Journals' started by TheStudent, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Thanks Chris.

Actually, I was inspired to try "intuitive" trading by something you said in an earlier post about how the human brain is the most powerful computer of all - you just have to believe it.

I've been building models, so this is new territory for me.

I think to make the journal useful, I going to avoid real time posts. I thought the time stamp would be good, but then I realized that I am not trying to prove anything and rushing to post is distracting.

I guess the goal for me is to keep me honest, learn from anyone kind enough to drop constructive criticism and if I get to where I want to get with this, pass on the learning experience.

Ok - so, trading plan is to focus on ES only. Signals are based on volume and direction. I am trying to catch reversals, but I may also ride momentum.

Stops are based on the charts, usually off a previous peak or trough.

This is much harder than trading with a system I think - it takes faith in yourself, that you know what you are doing.

So .... not much for a reader to grab onto here - sorry. But any observations are welcome.

Anyway, last trade was just plain silly. I am attributing it to adjustment issues. If it happens again, I am going to be very cross with myself.

#21     Oct 16, 2003
  2. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

#22     Oct 16, 2003
  3. 16:03 S @ 1049.25

STP 1052

The gap down was nice - wasn't expecting it. Thought we might see a nice 3 pt decay over the next few hours in the night session.

Don't want to watch this overnight, so we'll aim to take profits at 1047.25.

#23     Oct 16, 2003
  4. Magna

Magna Administrator

Hey Guys,

Rather than discuss ET personalities let's see if we can all stay on topic for this thread. Thanks.

#24     Oct 16, 2003
  5. dbp

this is a great thread. Thanks for the reference.

I do have a few systems that I have built that work. They are EoD systems that are based on liquidity indicators. This is an interesting foray for me - I'm hoping it does not end in disaster.

There must be something in this "intuititve" trading thing though - a long time ago I did it to disasterous effect, and so retreated towards reading about systems and started building them.

In that process, I learnt that good systems are basically about writing down your market observations. Complex TA indicators just didn't do it for me - studying market behaviour does.

That being the case, you have to have good market observations. I figured that if I tried discretionary ES trading again, at the best, I pick up a skill and can build something around it, at worse, I understand the ES market a little better and can somehow use that for my systems.

Thanks for the input!

Just noticed - C @1047.25 + 2pt

Today is flat, -0.12pt after commish.

Will write up some ground rules tonight on how to trade with a journal.

#25     Oct 16, 2003
  6. S @ 1049.25 10.38

STP out at 1051.

Had the right call on the AM to go short, but that 9.49 print @ 1052 was wild. Clearly a case of locals hitting stops I think. Well, it took me out too - next time I'll pick a less obvious place to be stopped out.

It stunned me for a while - if I had my wits about me, I should have seen it for what it was, and immediately got back into position.

Time to get a coffee and cool off.

ES @ 1044.50

#26     Oct 17, 2003
  7. Interesting. I also shorted @ 1049.25 this morning and went away. Just covered @ 1043.75. Maybe your stop is too tight?

#27     Oct 17, 2003
  8. Cutten

Cutten

Why not try to make 100pt on 1 ES on one trade. It'll teach patience, and make a more interesting journal than scalping for ticks.

#28     Oct 17, 2003
  9. Teach patience? Yes.
    More interesting journal? No.

The whole journal will have only two posts.

10/17/03
    shorted 1 ES @ 1049.25

8/23/04
    covered @ 949.25

#29     Oct 17, 2003
  10. you could have waited for the michigan number to come out..

regards,
    laz

#30     Oct 17, 2003