50% of US kids will be on Food Stamps

Discussion in 'Economics' started by IanMacQuaide, Nov 2, 2009.

1. CHICAGO -- Nearly half of all U.S. children and 90 percent of black youngsters will be on food stamps at some point during childhood, and fallout from the current recession could push those numbers even higher, researchers said.

The estimate comes from an analysis of 30 years of national data, and it bolsters other recent evidence on the pervasiveness of youngsters at economic risk. It suggests that almost everyone knows a family who has received food stamps, or will in the future, said lead author Mark Rank, a sociologist at Washington University in St. Louis.

http://www.click2houston.com/money/21500568/detail.html

2. Maybe it says more about the artificially high costs of raising children being likely to push people into poverty.

Think you have a choice? Don't buy that car seat and find yourself in volation of some statute, and possibly at risk of child abuse.

No wonder the replacement rate in advanced societies is below the death rate - current status is unsustainable.

3. drcha

drcha

I think it's just that all the wrong people are having children, and lots of them. Have them first, figure out how they're going to pay for them later, possibly on someone else's dime.

4. Child care credit tax credits, "head start", WIC programs, food stamps, Healthy Children programs, free pregnancy medical insurance for mothers & babies, etc, etc.

A woman who can't afford insurance is suddenly insured for everything if she gets pregnant. How about that?!

The government facilitates those who can't afford to having lots of kids. Then that's the result!

5. the1

the1

What nonsense. If you waited until you had money to have kids you'd be too damn old to have them. Your model of child planning leads to extinction.

6. No it doesn't. I make more than an average family household of two, and I could have kids, but no one under the age of 25-26 should ever have kids. Their careers do not support any sort of family lifestyle, and no one is really far enough along in their career to provide for a family of three. Once you have kids, one of the parents has to leave the workforce, so right there unless one of you make 60 to 70k and that job is secure, you shouldn't be having kids.

I'll have mine when I'm 30, like every responsible family should. I'll make three times as much by then, and I'll have a more stable career path to follow.

As to the thread, the premise is inaccurate, repulsive, and naieve. 50% of our kids will never be on food stamps. For econoimically inferior demographics, such as Appalachia mainly in my mind, I don't see any number quite that large being supported by government aid.

7. The old saying goes: "If you wait until you're ready to have kids, you won't have any kids."

8. Let's say a trader has traded for 2 years and has gone broke. What kind of assistance can he get?

(I see a black, single mother in my neighborhood who doesn't seem like she's been to work. Probably has section 8, food stamps, the whole deal. Earlier in life she must've thought, "If only I could have a kid, that would solve so much.........).

So what could a trader get, if anything?

10. Easy. Just get together with her and you'll both be on the Obama easy street!

#10     Nov 2, 2009