$50 Green Light Bulb Wins $10 Mil Government Prize

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Mar 9, 2012.

1. pspr

pspr

The U.S. government last year announced a $10 million award, dubbed the “L Prize,” for any manufacturer that could create a “green” but affordable light bulb.

Energy Secretary Steven Chu said the prize would spur industry to offer the costly bulbs, known as LEDs, at prices “affordable for American families.” There was also a “Buy America” component. Portions of the bulb would have to be made in the United States.

Now the winning bulb is on the market.

The price is $50.

Retailers said the bulb, made by Philips, is likely to be too pricey to have broad appeal. Similar LED bulbs are less than half the cost.

“I don’t want to say it’s exorbitant, but if a customer is only looking at the price, they could come to that conclusion,” said Brad Paulsen, merchant for the light-bulb category at Home Depot, the largest U.S. seller of light bulbs. “This is a Cadillac product, and that’s why you have a premium on it.”

How the expensive bulb won a $10 million government prize meant to foster energy-efficient affordability is one of the curiosities that arise as the country undergoes a massive, mandated turnover from traditional incandescent lamps to more energy-efficient ones.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ly-price-tag/2012/03/07/gIQAFxOD0R_story.html

2. LED TV is great. Not sure if we need to subsidize the industry, but maybe some motivation is not too bad. If NASA did it, would cost 10 billion probably. Expensive toys came from NASA, although I am a fan of the Space program.

c

3. rew

rew

Not only is that LED "light bulb" super expensive, from the picture it looks huge and certainly won't fit in most light fixtures.

Way to go, government.

4. pspr

pspr

I think it was Sec. Chu's DOE that awarded the prize. This guy is just totally incompetent.

5. Lucrum

Lucrum

You haven't heard? Congress is now going to mandate new light fixtures. The good news is that they are only $500 a piece.

6. pspr

pspr

I think they have already banned the manufacture of 100 watt or greater incandescent bulbs effective 1/1/2012. I don't recall the repeal effort working. Next year I think it goes down to 75 watt bulbs too.

7. rew

rew

Also don't forget that the compact fluorescent bulbs contain mercury. So if your kid smashes one you have a toxic waste spill in your house.

8. Actually they just want you to think they have banned them. What they banned was general service light bulbs. They didnt ban rough service light bulbs which are basically the same thing, but they are a little bit stronger (not as easy to break) as general service bulbs. Prices are greater for the rought service, but nowhere near $50.

For instance...a 100 watt general service light bulb will last about 1500 to 5000 hours and costs about 50 cents. A 100 watt rough bulb lasts about 10,000 hours, is harder to break and costs about $3. They really want you to buy their "green" $50 bulbs, but in fact, you will always still be able to buy the $3 rough service bulbs as they are not going anywhere.

9. Mercor

Mercor

Soon they will issue a mandate for this cost to be paid for by health insurance companies.

How can Georgetown sluts properly use birth control in the dark?

10. Lucrum

Lucrum

Obviously they should learn to swallow with their eyes closed.

#10     Mar 9, 2012