5 years from now you may regret not buying a house today...really?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by S2007S, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Congratulations. Best wishes in your new home!

#11     Dec 18, 2012
  2. Bob111

Bob111

--My house payment is $50 less counting insurance and taxes than I paid in rent before so I consider it a good investment.--
    sounds good to me!

#12     Dec 18, 2012
  3. Thanks guys!

#13     Dec 18, 2012
  4. WOw a home builder trying to create a sense of urgency just like a car salesman or the MC Rib, you better get it while its here!

I heard when the McRib comes back pork bellies spike. And the McRib is literally pork bellies and tripe.

All i know is some lucky bastard that lives up the street picked up a beautiful short sale for 285 last year. I'm glad that he has dumped a lot of money back into it but I'm still envious and pee in his yard when I walk my dog to the park. His wife is also hot as shit which pisses me off even more :mad:

#14     Dec 18, 2012
  5. kashirin

kashirin

Fed didn't want price to collapse in 2008
    How did it work?
    you shouldnot base your economic decisions on what Fed wants
    you should base your decision on consequence of the fed reckless actions

buying a house might be a good idea to hedge your bets and not because fighting the fed.

I bet the Fed will not exist in its current form in the next 10 years because they lose in this fight

#15     Dec 18, 2012
  6. What can the lawyer do that you can't do yourself in dealing with the county?

#16     Dec 18, 2012
  7. Bob111

Bob111

--buying a house might be a good idea to hedge your bets and not because fighting the fed.---

that was my rationale,when i bought my house back in 2008. cause i expect things go kinda like in russia,back in 90's. plus to spread up the "assets" a little bit. plus get a better,newest home in better area.

#17     Dec 18, 2012
  8. From what I've read and been told, you have much better chance of winning your appeal when you have an attorney (especially one that specializes in that area).

My tax hike was over 11k, so I wasn't going to take a chance doing it myself.

Sucks that's what it has to come to. Even if you "win", it still costs you.

#18     Dec 18, 2012
  9. The real estate market's definitely changed in our neighborhood. The past few years houses sat on the market 6-18 months and the price dropped several times before finally selling.

In the past couple of months, two houses in our neighborhood had multiple offers and sold in less than a week above the asking prices (and 10-15% above recent previous sale prices for similar homes). How long this will continue is anybody's guess, but things have definitely changed.

#19     Dec 18, 2012
  10. wartrace

wartrace

No way would I "invest" in residential real estate. Why?

1) It isn't liquid.
    2) Prices are dependent on interest rates. People buy payments, not the asset value. What happens to valuation when the fed raises interest rates?
    3) Rental real estate is a business. You have to deal with "customers" and maintaining the property.
    4) Transaction costs are high. Would you trade a stock if you had to pay a 6% transaction fee?
    5) Limited market. You can only sell to buyers ready and willing to purchase in you area. Other assets have a "universal" buyer base.
    6) Real estate is very local. What happens if they close the largest employer in the area? You have tremendous exposure to localized economic conditions.

Too many risks in my opinion. Have fun!:D

#20     Dec 18, 2012