$5 homes for Katrina "victims" courtesy of the US taxpaer

Discussion in 'Economics' started by peilthetraveler, Jun 3, 2009.

1. TGregg

TGregg

You didn't even read his post, did you? He didn't say that at all. And you've hurt your cause with a blind reaction.

#41     Jun 3, 2009
  2. Eric215

Eric215

Yes, I did read his post, twice actually. He has stated that black people are and act the same where ever they are located. Which is the same as saying that no matter the social environment, black people will act less "civil" or less "law abiding" then other races in that same environment. Which, again, means that he does not believe it is a social and cultural problem, but a genetic one.

Did you read my post?

EDIT: I will add that there are really only two major stances on this issue from where I see it. You either believe it is a cultural problem, which means if the social structures which fuel and support the culture are changed it will change the negatives in the culture. Or you believe that it is not a social and cultural problem, but a genetic one, which means that black people them selves are the problem, not the environments which influence them. From what I gathered from Pa(b)st Prime's post, maybe I misunderstood it which is why I said correct me if I'm wrong, is that he agrees mostly with the second opinion.

#42     Jun 3, 2009
  3. TGregg

TGregg

Yes. This part in particular:

Pabst implied nothing of the kind.

There's some meager evidence that suggests blacks might have slightly lower IQs and Asians might have slightly higher as compared to Europeans. If true (and it might not be, plus who knows how useful IQ is as measured by tests) it's not as significant as culture.

You take a smart baby and put him in a culture where studying is frowned upon and respect is worth killing for, and you've got yourself a hoodlum. I don't care what color he is. Take a disadvantaged black baby and put him in a world where science, math and hard work rule, and you'll have a very employable person.

I gotta turn in, but the main problem holding back Black America is caused by Black Americans - specifically the things they believe, say and teach their children and the people they follow. If they'd like to bust out, there is a blueprint available, there is a path to success and it is not (generally) blocked by white people. But it is very much blocked by black people.

#43     Jun 7, 2009
  4. +1

#44     Jun 7, 2009
  5. A chicken in every pot!

Errr.....

An Oldsmobile in every driveway!!

Errr.......

A rent-free Luxury Condo in Crown Heights for every homeless person (with granite, full cable TV, and Jacuzzi bath)!!!

Errr..........

A $10,000 Visa giftcard and free Mississippi Cottage for all!!!!!!!

#45     Jun 7, 2009
  6. So easy to blame Bush on this. First, the governor did not ask for Bush's help until the last minute. Under Constitutional Rights NO President can over power a governor under its states rights. So it is first the governors fault. Second, these people had early warnings but decided, "No, We have had hurricanes before. No reason to leave...". This warning fell on deaf ears and these people acted ignorantly to evacuate. And they were waiting for government handouts after it occurred, while others used their own will to help themselves and others.

I understand these people need help, but most of them have not met half way. Don't just give everyone money to please them. That is not America.

#46     Jun 8, 2009
  7. You're right. This isn't America anymore. This is Whatsinitformeville.

This just gives the people something to talk about.

Yeah, this might have happened...

Yeah, that may well have happened..

But you know damn well what the locals were doing.

We had rioting here in my area when one of "their people" was killed in a traffic accident (when a man wouldn't exit the vehicle in which he had no registration and illegal tint--later found meth, cocaine, maryjane and an unregistered firearm in his possession--- hmmmm) so, the LEOs opened fired on him when he tried to run them over with his [stolen] automobile. The local chapter of the NAACP brewed up a riot within hours of the death and the hoodlums started burning down caucasian-owned businesses, all on the premise of a group of white cops shot a young black man.

Within weeks of his death, a gym was constructed in his memory. It was an all out racist warfare.

I went to school that day (6th grade) and I was one of only about 10 white kids in the entire school (of about 1500 kids).

I'll never forget the day. I was fat and pretty much a waste of space at the time. Well, some black 8th grader (who was 16) started talking shit to me calling me a "soft ass cracker---blahblahblah." Well, I usually let comments like that roll down my back, but there was something about the way he said that to me. It was as if he wanted to rip out my dna and shove it back down my throat. I managed to gain the courage to say "Fuck you."

He beat the shit out of me. I honestly thought I was going to die. I had no chance. He kicked me in the face while I was curled up in a fetal position. I just felt like he was talking down to my race. It may have just been the moment in time. I don't know and I probably never will know.

I do know that I had a moment in time with him about 2 years ago when I saw him at the local park where I grow up (twice his size). I asked him "Why should I let you live right now after what you did to me when I was at Bay Point (my middle school)? He was too phukt up on drugs to give me a straight answer. I walked away. I still await the day that he is sober to confront him.

"I'd rather die a soldier than nigga live a coward" I'm just repeating their lyrics.......

Does this incident make me racist? Not the least bit. It just gives others a real perspective. There's no ill-will in my soul. It is just the way that it is.

#47     Jun 8, 2009
  8. Eric215

Eric215

So we are mostly in agreement then. You seem to be stating, like I did, that the negative aspects of the poor African American segment of society are culturally based. Pa(b)st was making statements like this, "Are blacks, en masse, any better behaved in the U.K., the Caribbean or in Africa than here in the States? Not a bit. To blame segregationists policies from decades ago is a ridiculously disingenuous alibi.", which leads me to conclude that he believes that black Americans themselves are the problem and not a negative cultural cycle that has evolved through out American history which is keeping them in this state of living. And for that to be the case, unless I am missing something, it would have to be genetics or skin color alone that is causing the problems.

On your other point about them just "busting out", this is where I wholly disagree. It is not, in my belief, possible to just bust out of an ingrained culture that is lived and experienced everyday for a persons entire life, especially with African Americans being segregated from other cultures and areas, which just makes the problems more isolated and intensified. This is something that cannot be understood from a person on the outside of the culture. As far as your "blue print" comment, to just point at a particular culture and say, "look how good our culture is, just change and live like us", is not possible and is a very unaware comment. Their culture has developed over all of American history and until just very recently (1.5 generations ago) black Americans were looked down upon and treated poorly by a large part of American society, so to expect their entire culture to change on a dime and "live like us" is again not possible. This has been the general theme of my posts, which is basically that arrogantly pointing fingers and making sweeping judgments on a segment of society while being born into a middle class family culture is arrogant and ignorant. If a person is not black and born into one these areas and has not experienced their daily living standards on a daily basis since they were born, then they have NO right to point fingers. In the end, I will just state like I have stated before, that this an American problem that was created through out American history and so it will take all of America to fix it. Or it could be left to fix itself, which may be the only way in our current societies general mass awareness on this topic, then it will probably take few generations making small changes until the culture reaches a tipping point and then changes very rapidly. Cultures evolve and change much like all physical phenomena, that is by making small changes over time which are brought about by out side influences or outside environments, until the small changes add up to enough of an influence themselves which causes the tipping point for accelerated or larger changes. But in fixing it, liberals are doing a poor job by enabling it and by expecting to little and conservatives are doing a poor job by just pointing fingers and expecting way to much. The problem needs to be looked at in real way and analyzed as to how the problem developed throughout history and why it is the way it is now and then we can all come together as Americans and fix the problem. We must come from a point of understanding and a general caring attitude for our fellow Americans, not a condescending and arrogant one.

#48     Jun 8, 2009