5.5 years later Guardian apologizes for anti-Israel smear

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by dddooo, Mar 4, 2008.

  1. The editor of The Guardian newspaper ... apologized for his publication's controversial editorial following Israel's incursion into the Jenin refugee camp in 2002.

    Following Operation Defensive Shield in 2002, the Guardian's editorial commented in its April 17 edition that: "Israel's actions in Jenin were every bit as repellent as Osama Bin Laden's attack on New York on September 11."

    "I take full responsibility for the misjudgment," Rusbridger said.

    And during a response to a later question, he apologized for the editorial on Jenin - unprompted.


    Guardian also acknowledges a new 3 day old smear:

    Rusbridger was also taken to task by Landau(former Haaretz editor) over his publication's explanation of the word "shoah" in an edition last week,

    "I can't accept that the correspondent or sub-editor, or whoever was involved in the story, seriously thought that they could justify the use of the word Holocaust, with uppercase 'H,' in the headline attributed to the Israeli minister, and that with all sincerity and with no disingenuousness reflecting it as honestly meaning what the man said," Landau said.

    Rusbridger conceded that Landau "may be right"

  2. The French are not apologizing just yet

    Independent French expert: the Intifada icon Al-Dura was murdered by Palestinians...unless the incident was staged

    A report presented to a French court last week by an independent ballistics expert maintains that the death of Mohammed al-Dura, a Palestinian child seen being shot in the Gaza Strip during the first days of the intifada in September 2000, could not have been the result of Israeli gunfire, corroborating claims that the shocking footage was doctored.

    The ballistics expert, Jean-Claude Schlinger... has served as an adviser on ballistic and forensic evidence in French courts for 20 years.

    In his report, Schlinger wrote, "If Jamal [the boy's father] and Mohammed al-Dura were indeed struck by shots, then they could not have come from the Israeli position, from a technical point of view, but only from the direction of the Palestinian position."

    He also wrote, "In view of the general context, and in light of many instances of staged incidents, there is no objective evidence that the child was killed and his father injured. It is very possible, therefore, that it is a case [in which the incident was] staged."

    Schlinger confirmed these statements in a telephone conversation with Haaretz.

    According to his report, there is no evidence that the boy was wounded in his right leg or in his abdomen, as was originally reported.

    Regarding the injuries reportedly suffered by the father, Schlinger wrote that "If the injuries are genuine, they could not have occurred at the time of the events that television channel France 2 reported."

    Regarding the angle of the shots, Schlinger wrote, "Assuming that the shots came from the Israeli position, only the lower limbs could have been hit, because the rest of the body was protected by the house at the location."