46 Percent of Mississippians Believe Interracial Marriage Should Be Illegal

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AK Forty Seven, Apr 10, 2011.

1. http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/08/46-percent-of-mississippi-republicans-want-interracial-marriage/

46 Percent of Mississippi Republicans Want Interracial Marriage Banned

A new poll gauging Mississippi Republicans' preferences going into the 2012 election ended up revealing something more startling: 46 percent of GOP voters in the state think interracial marriage should be illegal.

Results were announced Thursday by Public Policy Polling, a polling firm based in North Carolina. The company asked 400 Republican primary voters about their preferences for candidates for state and national offices, as well as their views on interracial marriage.

A whopping 46 percent of likely GOP primary voters said they think interracial marriage should be illegal, while only 40 percent said they think it should be allowed. Another 14 percent said they were unsure.

It was only 45 years ago that Mississippi legalized interracial marriage, and this poll indicates it continues to be a controversial subject.

The poll also found that Mississippi Republicans back Haley Barbour, their outgoing governor, to run for president on the GOP ticket in 2012. Barbour had 37 percent of respondents' support, followed by Mike Huckabee with 19 percent and Newt Gingrich and Sarah Palin tied for third place with 10 percent each.

The PPP poll also revealed that Palin has more support among voters who believe interracial marriage should be illegal than among those who are OK with it. Mitt Romney's numbers reveal just the opposite. He has a higher favorability among Mississippi Republicans who want interracial marriage to remain legal.

The poll was conducted by telephone between March 24 and 27 and has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.9 percent.

PPP describes itself as a nonpartisan polling firm, but it has been described in other media as a Democratic-leaning company.

The firm also conducted a separate poll of non-Republican voters, asking them the same question about interracial marriage. Those results are expected to be released in the coming weeks, along with those from another PPP poll asking Mississippi voters whether they think the right side -- the North or South -- won the Civil War.

2. This poll is not good.

Reason? It is a well known statistical fact that Mississippi comes in dead last in every metric that measures a state. You might as well be polling Appalachia.

So this poll is done merely to show that there are a lot of backwards people in Mississippi, which everyone already knows. Are there any corporate headquarters in that state?

That should tell you something right there.

3. I would have thought that 76 percent of republicans in Mississippi would have responded that they believed that interracial marriages should be illegal. They have made more progress than I thought.

4. LOL !!!!!!!!!!!

5. Why do other people waste their own time worried about other people's marriage? Live your own life.

6. I personally dont think its that they are against interracial marriage. I think its they are against black marrying white. I think most wouldnt care if they were marrying asians.

7. Oh yeh right,,asking people to mind there own bidness works everytime lol, I remember ol ralph reed who was having homosexual sex and thats ok,,who was cheating on his wife,,and thats ok,,but internet gamblin,,now thats intolerable lol, people cant help but tell others how to live

8. you mean asian men marrying white women?

9. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

check the stats:

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/28000.html

shows mississippi has over twice the average population of blacks to whites as the US average.

polling 400 republicans in mississippi and then extrapolating your hypothesis is rather...well, flimsy.

10. I have never seen asian men marrying white woman

It is always asian woman marrying white men

#10     Apr 10, 2011