46" LCD monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bandit77, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Anyone ever try using a big screen LCD TV as a computer monitor? the new ones run at 1920x1080, so in theory you get a bigger desktop. any opinions? too big? hard on the eyes?

2. A higher res is susposed to be better on the eyes, but because it's closer to your eyes, it might be bad.

3. omniscient

omniscient Guest

4. Ah, but with a 46 LCD you can play Madden NFL on it or watch TV with it when the market is closed.

5. omniscient

omniscient Guest

the market closes??!?? Blaspheme!! :eek: :D

but, yeah, if you are looking to have a multi-purpose viewing device, the TV may be a better option.

6. lol, I guess the ultimate would be to have a dual monitor setup with two 46" LCD's.

7. Oh, I don't know. I was considering buying a drive-in theater just for the screen.

8. while we're at it, might as well get a quad 46" setup on wall mounts. wouldn't that be something. the trading station may start to look like the NORAD control room.

9. danoXP

danoXP

A coworker of mine got a Westinghouse 1080p monitor to do demos at trade shows:

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/details.aspx?itemnum=59

I think it was only about $1700.

He hooked it up to his Digital HD Cable Set-top box and WOW! The SA set top box drove it to 1080p on the YES network. It is the best HD picture I have seen yet.

Now, I understand that the set top box is selecting the digital source based on the monitor and sending pixels in digital form and right on the screen. No need for any conversion or a tuner or anything else to get in the way of the pure digital 1080. Nice.

With the new Cable or Satellite boxes .... you just need a monitor.

10. don't know about westinghouse. I saw some WH sets at Sams club and Best Busys, and the picture looks faded. real bland colors. The Sony Bravia 46 blows me away. Sharp is not bad either. but yeah, saw a best buy demo of 1080p on blue ray. pretty amazing.

#10     Dec 9, 2006