46.3 million Americans without health insurance

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ASusilovic, Sep 10, 2009.

1. marine

marine

You should read my initial post before commenting numpty!

I stated in my initial post I have been exposed to private, military and no insurance in the US. Plus I have been exposed to private insurance and the NHS in England.

I fall in to a very small percentage of the world's population which have experienced several different types of medical or lack of medical insurance.

#91     Sep 16, 2009
  2. i am also one of those who is blessed to live in
    a country where healthcare is taken care of and i can ensure
    you that you are trying to save on the wrong site.
    the big expenses are dentist visits and longterm special medication and/or surgery's.

about 2 years ago i was for the first time in my life not insured
    for a couple of days as i lived in germany for over 10 years and just migrated back
    to the netherlands but i wasnt reported as a dutch citizen yet. i recieved a terible and strange headegg which came allways
    at the exact same time. this happend emediatly after i was back
    in holland and before my insurance was set up.i went
    to see a doctor, it endet up by giving me some pills
    and advise; te visit lasted about 15 minutes and i had to pay for
    it meself as i didnt have insurance yet

the bill?

45eur,- for something you maybe need 1 time a year

how are you saving by not going to see a doctor,
    those are not the expenses

#92     Sep 16, 2009
  3. The number is grossly inflated, but for the sake of argument let's assume it's accurate. How do we insure 47 million additional people "without adding a dime to the deficit" as stated by the president? How do we put 47 million more in to waiting rooms and not see quality of care go down? He lies, you lefties lie, and you've played your race card way too early. You're going to need some health care, because 2010 is shaping up to be a massacre for you.

#93     Sep 16, 2009
  4. We need to hire more doctors from other countries.

#94     Sep 16, 2009
  5. Mnphats

Mnphats

We do, we train them and keep the best few wish to return to their countries.

#95     Sep 16, 2009
  6. First of all dumb ass, a fever of 105 is NOT just a runny nose is it? Yes of course you should have taken your kid in for that. Many people do go to the Dr. every time they sneeze and yes that is a problem.

As far as your 10% of the time the medicine doesn't work is obviously a completely made up statistic. I do not know the % so I won't speculate but I do know for a fact that if you go to the Dr. and have a virus most of them still prescribe an antibiotic....which DOES NOTHING for a virus. Most people don't even realize this (you probably being one of them) and fill this script anyway. What this in effect does is add to the problem of bacteria that gets immune to antibiotics.

No I am not an idiot and I do not spread sickness on purpose. Stop being a dumb ass. Using common sense to avoid wasting time and money on useless Dr visits does not equal rampant spreading of sickness. Then again, I guess common sense isn't so common.

Finally I do agree with you that office visits should not cost $350 for a 15 minute office visit but that is partly why I am an advocate of Tort reform and some way to help ensure Dr's aren't over prescribing medicine.

PS: I really hate having to call people names like dumb ass but when you attack me first with silly names, you should expect it in return.

#96     Sep 16, 2009
  7. Notice that marine said in the US that an uninsured office visit costs $350 usd. The prescription medications that you then have to pay for add a lot more cost. So yes for minor things like a common cold taking OTC cold medicine for $5 - $10 saves an uninsured person a lot of money. For those with decent insurance that office visit would cost about $15-$30 (copay) and about another $10-$45 for the meds. So even still it's cheaper to use OTC stuff for common colds but that is still negligible cost difference.

The big issue comes in when non-insured people go to the ER for treatment of a common cold. ER bills are a LOT more expensive than a DR visit for uninsured people and since most of the people doing this DO NOT PAY that bill the costs of those people causes everything else the hospital does to get raised and thus insurance premiums become a lot higher for EVERYONE.

#97     Sep 16, 2009