45+ point pop on YM

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by monkey, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Forgot to post this.

• doji.png
      File size:
      57.6 KB
      Views:
    #11     Aug 26, 2003
  2. Kap

Kap

ML was a big Seller @ 985 SP

IMO - One hell of a short squeeze

#12     Aug 26, 2003
  3. damir00

damir00 Guest

is that who was flashing all the size while we bounced along the bottom?

#13     Aug 26, 2003
  4. 14:24 ET Floor Talk
    In case you haven't heard, there is nothing going on today. Sure, there was some chatter of Fed Chairman Greenspan's demise early in the session. Although the talk reached enough trading floors to warrant commentary by several firms, the market reaction was negligible. This is day two of the slowest week of the year. In fact, one trader we attempted to reach via IM left the auto response message: "Will be out of pocket for the remainder of the day." We reached him on his cell phone at a local pub. Seems that all the desks are empty, except our own.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    An ideal scene for big boys to play games and shake the tree.

#14     Aug 26, 2003
  5. Kap

Kap

yup, offering 50 lots to Locals over lunch !!, sold over 500 @ 985.0

#15     Aug 26, 2003
  6. Tea

Tea

Never short a dull market.........

#16     Aug 26, 2003
  7. damir00

damir00 Guest

even though things are going well and i made coin on the run, episodes like this really make me feel like i still have a lot to learn. which is probably a healthy attitude but...sometimes i wonder if i wouldn't learn a whole lot quicker in a more professional setting, like in an actual firm or on the floor or etc etc.

#17     Aug 26, 2003
  8. sempai

sempai

Perhaps due to the positive consumer confidence report, a few people decided to put some money into equity mutual funds today.

If so, the fund managers would have had to be buying equities this afternoon.

#18     Aug 26, 2003
  9. taodr

taodr

There was talk that today was last day for mutual fund rebalancing going into September.

#19     Aug 26, 2003
  10. monkey

monkey

This was a case of when the market trades in a horizontal line like it was for almost three hours, trade the break away from it.

In this case, there was a little pop up at about 1:30pm. It pulled back and traded in a narrow range for another 15 minutes, but it didn't pull back all the way to where it was, which was a good sign that the breakout was going to be on the long side. I bought the breakout from this second consolidation, rode it 45 points, sold on the pullback after 2pm (when I started this thread) and bought again after the 3 bar pullback on the 5 minute chart. Then it kept going up. 90 points later, I was a happy monkey.

#20     Aug 26, 2003