$420,000 for each of Goldman's 22,000 workers worldwide

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by richardyu301, Oct 20, 2005.

1. inet

inet

Right.

#11     Oct 20, 2005
  2. Too bad they don't actually give 420k to each employee instead 80% of that money goes to the top 10% earners in the company. It's different at all companies so how do I know but I doubt a staff level at 60k/year will take in a 420k bonus.

#12     Oct 20, 2005
  3. ozzy

ozzy

That's very true and its a shame. The people at the bottom bust their ass so some popus ass, egotistical maniac gets compensated millions for flying on jets and having his ass wiped by people around him.

ozzz

#13     Oct 20, 2005
  4. BARLI

BARLI

the world's not fair i agree

#14     Oct 20, 2005
  5. The mean is meaningless... ibankers and mortgages and other derivatives guys getting 2-5mil on average.

#15     Oct 20, 2005
  6. I was just going to say that... There are probably going to be "senior" traders and management that will get 5-10 mil each...
    Unfortunatley, an average worker will probably get no more than 10-15% of their salary...

#16     Oct 20, 2005
  7. What no one explains properly is where the trading gains come from. The average hedge fund is lucky to be up 2% this year. From most trading seats, market inefficiencies are very rare, and short-lived.

Exactly how do GS and the others make hundreds of millions of dollars per quarter in trading gains? Recommending stocks that they're already long? How do they do it?

No guesses please. Anyone have first-hand knowledge or experience in this area?

#17     Oct 20, 2005
  8. jem

jem

Well parts of both sides of say arca and the nyse and then also being paid as an adivser and deal maker is one.

two might be being paid to rape refco and then dish off the spoils to your insider.

#18     Oct 20, 2005
  9. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

7th

#19     Oct 20, 2005
  10. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

gs is usually on the other side of the hedge fund as gs prop is of course sell side

although i doubt you will find precise answers here to your question, remember that:

1/ not all gs traders are trading gods
    2/ with a MASSIVE line of credit, rather than an account, bullying the market in short time frames is like stealing candy from a retail trader
    3/ the $$$$mil returns may seem big, but whats the sharp ratio? i mean how much is at risk to make that?
    4/ a lot of their stuff is in options, often otc and other stuff that most here (myself included) know squat about.
    5/ they dont just employ anyone!

as for recomending stocks they are long - remember their shout for $105 oil - they still wont take my offer to buy those $105 calls im trying to pimp. wonder why!! :mad:

#20     Oct 20, 2005