42" LCD TV for trading?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlpineTrout, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Actually it's just like I said, but your setup is very close to what I have in mind, minus the Lazy Boy and Treadmill, of course. :D

Glad to hear the DVI to HDMI cord makes a difference. I was hoping to hear that.

In the pic it looks like you'd be sitting alot closer than my 58" - 60" that I measured off. Does it fatigue your eyes?

#21     Feb 27, 2009
  2. volente_00

volente_00

Man that seems really close your eyes. How far do you sit from it ? I only run 19 inch and sit approx 3 feet away.
    I've thought about doing the same but mounting it on the wall but am concerned with eye fatigue.

By the way, what's in the pill bottles ?

Aspirin for the headaches and xanax for a bad day ?

:)

#22     Feb 27, 2009
  3. zdreg

zdreg

backup in case the 42" inch stops working?

#23     Feb 27, 2009
  4. Maybe its just the ones I've seen, but I've never been impressed by the quality of the picture.

#24     Feb 27, 2009
  5. Oh, ok. I thought maybe you meant back-up power for the 42". I'm going to rig up a couple cables to the treadmill and just haul ass until the power comes back on. No not really.

Back up would be similar to the pic above. A separate computer with a regular monitor(s). Or, just have a dvi cord ready to plug into one of the smaller monitors already attached to the trading rig. Then adjust resolution.

#25     Feb 27, 2009
  6. Mr J

Mr J

Close, but I was asking whether it's enough, as it isn't for many traders. He has since stated that it is though.

#26     Feb 27, 2009
  7. I tried it last year, using a dvi-to-hdmi cable, connected my pc to a 37" plasma. I screwed around with different resolutions, but it never quite looked right. Trendlines were blocky, text blurred, etc.
    That was with Oanda, not sure if other feeds would be better.
    Sounds like a good excuse to buy more tech stuff, though!

#27     Feb 27, 2009
  8. I don't know if it would make a difference to you, but LCD's, imo, have a better picture than plasmas. Also, different software can look different. NinjaTrader must use smaller rectangles to form their lines vs QuoteTracker. There is a huge difference in the appearance.

And of course if you're sitting too close, nothing's going to look good. :D

#28     Feb 28, 2009
  9. That's why I like women with looooong arms!

#29     Feb 28, 2009
  10. I use Vizio VU42LF's as monitors @ 1920x1080. As to whether your video card can push them, you need to compare the specs on the card to the resolution you want to run on the tv.

I built my last system starting with monitors and working backwards to have cards to push the monitors and a mobo to push the cards. Not that it's necessary, but I run Nvidia 8800 ultra's on a 64 bit Asus WS series card/ Intel Core2 Extreme and DDR3 1333 x 4 gb. I spent a fortune but you don't have to.

I use dvi to hdmi adapters and a hdmi cable from pc to tv input. Works fine but carrys no sound from pc to tv (don't use it/ don't need it/ don't want it). I have never even installed sound drivers. You can do an audio cable if you choose.

Also makes for awesome Sports Illustrated Swimsuit body paint monitors (that blonde chick from HI is incredible) and of course Sunday football too.

#30     Mar 2, 2009