$419 Dell Deal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Landis82, Feb 2, 2009.

1. xednise

xednise

I think you are missing the point, 99% of the people here don't have the time or inclination to jack around with the bios for 2 days trying to save 50 cents.

#21     Feb 4, 2009
  2. Anaconda, I had a similar problem trying to use the e-Value coupon code as well when I ordered a similar Dell Inspiron 530s for a member of my family last month.

Try this link which corresponds to the February Dell catalog:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/us/segments/dhs/catalog?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

Then, just enter the E-value code in the two boxed "window" in the left hand margin.

:)

#22     Feb 4, 2009

3. Clearly you have never built your own box....

#23     Feb 4, 2009
  4. gnome

gnome

"... Quote from Anaconda:

The free monitor is a great deal, can't deny that.
    I can't get the coupon to work, seems like they took it offline. Free 19" instead. I was thinking of getting it just to flip the monitor and the computer, but the 19" isn't worth that much. BTW, that Vostro has a 250w PSU, very low.

Problem with Dells is that they use downgraded parts for the motherboard, Disc Drives, RAM and power supply. Out of all of the OEMs, their PCs have the most limitations. Any model they have, I can put together significantly cheaper, even buy a custom made. They also overcharge on shipping and take longer....

If you're going to knock something, don't you think you should be more careful your complaints?.

1. The PSU is not 250W, but rather 300W... according to the tech specs on their website. While not a powerhouse, it's adequate. The average modern computer today runs about 150-180W at idle.... 300W is plenty for most.

2. "Downgraded parts for motherboard"... Which parts are those? True, they have an OEM mobo (usually from Foxconn), but the other parts are off the shelf... same as any other OEM maker. Intel CPU, Intel chipset... major maker RAM... average optic drives.

3. PSU... Mine's a Lite-ON... a major hardware maker, average quality... and I've NEVER read a single complaint about their power supplies (except prior to 2001 when they were non-ATX standard).

4. Yes, they have "restrictions".. mostly, they don't allow overclocking. Big deal.

5. Your claims of "putting one together sigificantly cheaper"... I've priced many components at Newegg... and I seriously doubt it.

Don't you realize how foolish and biased you look when your arguments are so weak and divergent from the facts?

#24     Feb 4, 2009
  5. No, because all I have to do is turn on my computer, which performs better than anything you can get on the market right now even for $600. It cost me $350 with the finishing touches, like getting a reliable PSU just in case. Yes, I did catch a good deal. Have you ever put a PC together? No need to reply to the question, I already know the answer.

You don't know where or how to look for deals. Newegg is ehh, at best.
    You also do not know the Dell business model. They order parts in bulk, often cutting back on costs and using less than standard quality than what the original part manufacturer would normally put out under their own brand name.

The tech specs are right here, champ. http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/desktop-vostro-220st?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

If there are no name brands mentioned on the disc drive, RAM, motherboard (chipset is a part not a full motherboard), PSU, harddisk etc., there is a reason.

I hate to break the sad news which apparently insult your intelligence, but Dells are a joke. It's been known for a while, I figured this out long before I even tried building my own PC. The only people who I have met that love Dells are those who are relatively computer illiterate and are casual users. Any semi-serious user knows to look at other OEMs, at the very least. Like Acer.

Dells are popular at corporations & companies, because most people are computer illiterate and their use will be casual. And it's easy to set up. Even though you're actually overpaying, the IT department does not give a sh*t, why would they.

#25     Feb 4, 2009
  6. My first box took me 5 hours to put together. I had to put it together 3 times, because of the mistakes I made. I also was trying to hook up 3 monitors, which messed with me for a while. Second box took under an hour.

If you need to jack around with BIOS for 2 days, you must be wearing a special needs helmet.

#26     Feb 4, 2009
  7. Awesome, thanks.

Dell is giving out lot of free monitors, they seem desperate.

#27     Feb 4, 2009
  8. GiantDog

GiantDog

Acer? Did you say Acer? Why in the world would you use Acer? Yuk.:(

#28     Feb 4, 2009
  9. xednise

xednise

I don't need the helmet but I make enough trading that I don't need to waste time with a $300 throw together box either. I'm guessing your trading expertise doesn't match your computer skills.

#29     Feb 4, 2009
  10. I guess you haven't noticed that the RETAIL sector is in a Depression right now.

#30     Feb 5, 2009