41 million Americans can't make ends meet

Discussion in 'Economics' started by a529612, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Mvic

Mvic

Places like Detroit for example.

#51     Oct 15, 2007
  2. In areas you don't want to live. Detroit and Flint MI, parts of Ohio, . Go to ebay and type in foreclosed homes and you will see places in Ohio for 15k. You couldn't buy my garage in the part of Denver Metro I live in for that. CNBC showed someone buying a home at a auction in Detroit for 2k! Heck I thought about it, that's nothing, but I don't want to an out of state slum lord for some crack house.

#52     Oct 15, 2007
  3. Why people don’t like to live in the Detroit?

#53     Oct 15, 2007
  4. Thanks, and also to you Mvic.

The farthest east I've ever been is Boise Idaho. So to me, a house for less than 140thousand is unheard of.
    Hmm, I'll have to find out why I don't want to live in Detroit. Don't they have a lot of canal systems over there? Interconnecting canals?

#54     Oct 15, 2007
  5. Artie21

Artie21

Out of these 41,000,000, what percentage of those over 21 do you think smokes cigarettes and drinks too much? 30? Maybe 40?

FUCK EM GODAMMIT! WELFARE (hopeful) LEECHING BUMS

#55     Oct 15, 2007
  6. No one lives in downtown Detroit other than some bums. Most people live in the Detroit suburbs. :D

#56     Oct 15, 2007

7. Yes, those prices are probably for real. I have been to detroit a few times, and from what i have seen, if you buy the houses listed, YOU OVERPAID!!!

Why pay for the house when you can squat there for free? the best part is you don't go over to your neighbors house to "borrow a cup of sugar", you go next door to buy crack.

Its a great place to raise kids. if you don't like your kids.

#58     Oct 20, 2007
  8. Astonomical debt you mean. Most of these people don't "own" shit, the banks do.

#59     Oct 20, 2007
  9. And your point is? The article said "struggling to make ends meet" not "unwilling to try to make ends meet".

BTW, regarding hiring illegals, a lot of it has to do with liability, rather than wages.

Try to compete for an illegal job vs your standard Mexican laborer. See who gets picked.
    Think like the one hiring the illegals. Who would you prefer? An American citizen, most likely familiar with labor laws & regulations or a completely clueless non-English speaking illegal.

It has little to do with illegals taking US jobs, it has mostly to do with employers unwilling or unable to support a standard of living once enjoyed in the country.
    I would never fault an illegal who stands on the street looking for work, he has every right to do so. I would not necessarily fault some small business employers either, their economics often cannot make room for proper wages (like many restaurants). Being that the wealth of this country is growing, obviously, certain entities are getting those squeezed out cost savings & profiting.

Here is something to think about. Crowds of labor standing around stores & highways looking for work are a common thing in many other countries.

#60     Oct 20, 2007