41 million Americans can't make ends meet

Discussion in 'Economics' started by a529612, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Are you implying a violent awakening?
    Somewhat true, but criminal justice does exist and takes those people out of the picture for a multi year period.

Are you implying a political awakening?
    Doubt it.

#21     Oct 11, 2007
  2. bracca

bracca

Well said, Mosholu.

Robert Rector: "When you look at the people who John Edwards insists are poor, what you find is that the overwhelming majority of them have cable television, have air conditioning, have microwaves, have two color TVs; 45 percent of them own their own homes, which are typically three-bedroom homes with 1.5 baths in very good recondition. On average, poor people who live in either apartments or in houses are not crowded and actually have more living space than the average person living in European countries, such as France, Italy or England."

More from same article here:
    http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/Printable.aspx?GUID=36BD9AB4-3667-48FC-A5FE-A89757979301

#22     Oct 11, 2007
  3. You've been brainwashed by government economnic data. Real inflation is running around 10%, ~+- 3%. Food. Oil. Fed printing money. The whole money system is rigged. You are losing purchasing power every day at 5%. Never mind the strong strong dollar selling.

#23     Oct 11, 2007
  4. That 7% loss doesn't include the fact that food and energy prices rise by 20%.

#24     Oct 11, 2007
  5. BSAM

BSAM

You guys are talking foolishness. Don't you all realize that we've got to take care of the good people in Iraq? Americans don't matter.:p

#25     Oct 11, 2007
  6. Political.
    I bet someone back in 2004 that the Dems would take both houses in 2006. That person thought I was as crazy as the other person I told I was in gold back in 2000.
    They came pretty close, depending on how you count.
    2008 is the year they take firm control of the Senate, firmer control of the House, and the White House.
    The Republican debates are irrelevant. None of them have a chance.
    The best outcome for the Reps would be Hillary, who's centrist in the context of the Dems. She's to the right of everyone else.
    If any of the others is the one, it'll really be a 180 from what we've been used to up until now. You'd have to go all the way back to LBJ to get someone who was that far to the left domestically. Very few of the folks on this board know what that's about.

#26     Oct 11, 2007
  7. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

10%? Hmm, then why are my year over year costs going up maybe 2% for the last 11 years? please don't tell me I've been brainwashed. Actually I'm fairly well educated with 3 degrees; 2 of them advanced. And I've been trading full time for the past 11+ years. I hear -- and understand economic data very well.

Oh yeah, for the many in the US who drive SUV's that get 10 mpg they're seeing higher inflation. I won't apologize for the stupidity of those who can't really afford such vehicles. And many of those same people are wasting $$$ eating fast food and the like. Oh wait, those same people are saving nothing or even refinancing their homes to have some cash available for their continued consumption. Spending is a CHOICE --- that many in the US do very poorly.

So I'll re-state my assertion --- for intelligent people the inflation rate is 2-3%.

#27     Oct 11, 2007
  8. i'm sure it feels good to be special. most americans aren't as intelligent as you, and maintaining a consistent standard of living is unrealistic at <= 2-3% a year

#28     Oct 11, 2007
  9. Really?
    I see folks with high-speed Internet connections, cable, flat-screen TV's connected to their cable, cell phones, Ipods, laptops, and the aforementioned SUV's.
    If US domestic inflation were really more than 2-3% per year, you wouldn't see people able to afford all those additional goodies, all of which cost more than their predecessors.
    I believe that all of that sums to a higher standard of living, not a constant one, for the folks who are still working, that is. Most retired folks just maintain, which relative to the working population, does mean they fall behind, as the years go by.

#29     Oct 11, 2007
  10. i think the negative savings rate says it all. people can afford their gizmos and the appearance of stability, but they're digging deeper into debt to do so.

personally my healthcare and accounting costs have doubled in the last 5 years. how many people are sacrificing their coverage to maintain the rest of their lifestyle? it's pretty common esp among younger people

#30     Oct 12, 2007