4 monitors, 2 resolutions, one desktop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chisel, Jun 19, 2002.

1. chisel

chisel

Hi all,

I'm currently using two 15" lcds with the Matrox G550 card and I'd like to add two 17" lcds to this setup. If I add a dual pci card, will I be able to spread the desktop over the 4 monitors and also adjust for the different resolutions that the 15" and 17" lcds require?

If the desktop cannot be spread over the 4 monitors, what will the screens show?

I'm running an AMD 1800xp with W2k Pro.

Thanks for any help.

2. hello

Do you mind me asking how much the card might cost ?

and if it has made a huge difference in your trading as opposed to trading with one monitor?

seth

3. chisel

chisel

Seth,

The G550 is $91 at newegg.com, but if you don't need digital capability, the dual G450 is $79. These are AGP cards.

I started with 2 monitors (one laptop and one desktop), added one to the desktop, and it's still not enough!

I'm hoping 5 total will satisfy me, at least for a while. :)

I like to have a lot of charts open and then I like a screen or two for my trading platform.

HTH

4. JayS

JayS

Jus thought I'd post that I got a Matrox G200 MMS, Quad Monitor w/ TV Tuner recently that retails for $799.00 at Matrox.com and other locations from a vendor on Ebay (new) for $299.00. He still has a few up with a Buy It Now.

5. RAY

RAY

Yes, you can run different resolutions with a separate video card.

<<I have Multiple Matrox Cards and it allows this>>

6. exe

exe

As I remembered, you cannot run different resolutions on Win2K. Unless your video card driver has circumvented this, you'd better check with the vendor first. This feature is OS dependent. Not a problem with XP or 98.

7. PKJR

PKJR

no problems with different resolution screens on XP and matrox G450

8. mbg

mbg

you can run different resolutions with win2000 also - thats my setup

9. gnome

gnome

You might want to check with Matrox about installing 2nd dual head before you buy... can't do that with ATIs (which I have.)
    My system:
    1 ATI All-in-Wonder card
    3 Expert 128 cards
    Windows 2000.
    Each monitor can have it's own resolution.
    System works smooth as a gravy sandwich.