4 Lessons Learned from 30 Years of Trading

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Stocktracker, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Too theoretical, general and vague to be of value.

Here are 4 useful "lessons".

1. Buy support
    2. Sell resistance
    3. Chase break outs
    4. Trade with stops.

2. vanzandt

vanzandt

1) Sell the news
    2) Buy the fear
    3) Fundamentals matter
    4) Fade the media

Bob111 and victorycountry like this.
  3. 1) Be patient
    2) Trade with the trend
    3) Manage risk
    4) Keep a trading journal

4. Pekelo

Pekelo

cough TESLA cough

Cuddles, VPhantom, J Ski and 3 others like this.
  5. 1) sell when there is possible idiosyncratic shock
    2) buy after the idiosyncratic risk is over
    3) Fundamental matter

cresa maugh and J Ski like this.
  6. Sounds a bit pure technical analysis though...break outs only happens with fundamental news...

cresa maugh likes this.
  7. "Price Chart TA" is one of the ways to succeed in the market.

I wouldn't say "breakouts only happen with fundamental news"... but it really doesn't matter "why" the breakout, does it? Besides, the breakout move will likely be well on its way by the time YOU find out the fundamental news.

8. If you as an investor "really understand fundamentals", they can be of use to you. Like Buffett... but he spends lots of time and money to "drill down" data to find companies which he believes are fundamentally underpriced. Then he buys a big chunk of them and waits until the undervaluation is recognized by the market. Usually works for him.

If you plan to "chase the market's response to fresh fundamental news", you'd be better off to forget fundamentals completely and focus on the price charts. Price "leads" fundamentals in the sense that by the time YOU learn of the fundamental, price is already on its way because others got the news and acted before you.

birdman likes this.
  9. Strangely enough, you can make money doing the opposite of all these "4 things" lists. I wouldn't have said that 10 years ago. I've been trading 47 years.

#10     Jun 17, 2017
    ironchef and lovethetrade like this.