4/6/8 screen setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kamakazi, Nov 10, 2005.

1. kamakazi

kamakazi

I am looking to build a new PC for charting purposes only. possibly looking for 4-6 screens.

I dont need anything 3d or top spec.

Whats my best and cheapest option to go about this?

ie quad card or 2 x dual card. And which ones you recommend.

Any help appreciated.

Also where can i get hold of multi arms or is there another solution? I know multi holders are pretty expensive. What do people use as an alternative?

2. Sanjuro

Sanjuro

2 x Dual head cards
    would be the cheapest.

If you only have 1 slot left,
    you could get a Quad card.

Matrox and NVidia both have good Dual head cards.

I remember there was a previous thread with a lot of recommendations for good arms for multiple monitors. Might want to try a search.

3. mokwit

mokwit

I picked up a new AppianX for USD2xx, although I would be wary that spec whilst adequate for my needs may be too far behind the curve for installing now (i.e. at end 2005 vs 2003).

4. Merl4

Merl4

I have used Matrox for a number of years, trouble free

5. MR.NBBO

MR.NBBO

Running 3 PCI Matrox 200mms quad cards+ various higher end AGP cards.

You can get nice (older) matrox cards on ebay for $60-70.

6. Catoosa

Catoosa

I second this solution. I bought the same quad card from eBay and run 9 monitors on one of my PCs using a single AGP card and two Matrox 200mm quad cards. This has worked great. I bought two spare Matrox 200mm quad cards for backup just in case I had a card failure. I have used one of the backup cards to replace a buggy card so I am down to one spare.

7. bighog

bighog Guest

Stick with PNY Nvidia dual head Quadro cards. They as stated before are microsoft compliant cards, thus upgrades come from Windows UPDATES.

Some if not most of the big trading rooms use the QUADRO NVS cards 2dimension is all you need. matrox is French company based in montreal, canada. LOUSY service. believe it!!!!

8. omniscient

omniscient Guest

9. bigsid

bigsid

AMD64 x2 3800 bundle with XP64
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo with dual pci express
    2 x GeForce 6600 w/dual dvi
    2GB RAM

runs 4 x Dell 2005FPW and screams

Cost less than 1500 excluding monitors

10. jzbqhr

jzbqhr