4,000/1 Odds

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by BlueHorseshoe, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Long term value investing will be a hoot if they adopt global accounting standards, which imo is coming to a 10k theater near you.

#11     Nov 19, 2008
  2. Everyone will believe what they want to believe, and one person's delusion doesn't concern me. But I'll just counter a couple of your points.

Trading data is quite detailed in Taiwan, because officials are wary of Chinese (PRC) manipulating their market, i.e. the regulators try keep close track of who is trading what. Also rampant insider trading here, so regulators do what they can. (Of course lots of insider trading here in dummy or 'front' accounts, but that is another issue.) Every day it is reported how much of what stocks are bought and sold by 'Foreign Institutions,' 'Local Institutions,' and individuals. Data even shows what brokers are handling the trades. This is all on the regulators homepage, updated daily last time I checked.

'Day trading' definitions are quite simple: X% of trades are entered and exited during one trading session, or one 24 hr period.

But keep churnning 'em to your heart's content. Now you have nobody to blame but yourself.

#12     Nov 19, 2008
  3. Interesting thought. I would think there is some selection bias in that prospective day traders come to ET as they climb their learning, or disillusion curve. Successful day traders don't wander over here ... they are not looking to learn, and not likely to find what they are looking for here. Thus I would think instead of 25 there might be 12 or less.

The succesful day traders I've known specialized in a particular niche, and were almost religious about knowing where they made money and where they didn't. They were almost exclusively pit traders, but also a moneyed guy in Singapore who made his living from a home office and pursued strategies that would stretch most people's definition of 'day trading.' They wouldn't have given ET the time of day.

#13     Nov 19, 2008
  4. mike007

mike007

"So what are the chances of you going on a date with me?

A million to one.

So your saying there's a chance...."

#14     Nov 19, 2008
  5. ScapGF

ScapGF

"Hey! What was that one in a million talk all about?!"

#15     Nov 19, 2008
  6. its a movie quote.

#16     Nov 19, 2008
  7. i've been profitable for the last 3 years.....that makes me 1 in 4000? this is the most exaggerated number I've heard of.... lol

#17     Nov 19, 2008
  8. and 10 of the remainder would be the blue-sky entity known as stock_trad3r

#18     Nov 19, 2008
  9. LOL it is so true.

#19     Nov 20, 2008
  10. gnome

gnome

"Dumb and Dumber"...

#20     Nov 20, 2008