3rd Time A Charm?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by stonedinvestor, Oct 8, 2008.

1. you need a break bro. You have to figure that we are closer to the bottom than we are to the top. That being the case, the pain should stop at some point here. We could always buy some land and start a commune. :D

#31     Oct 10, 2008
  2. 1 nibble I'm fried. I look at my dear wife and I just want her to stop saying whatever she is saying.... CSI, Obama.... I can't make conversation. I still love everybody but everything seems so petty in comparison to the world falling apart. And I hate that I feel this way.

Great recovery by NLY today!
    ENER too! New target their by Amtech today is $59 & there was a real nice piece out yesterday on them by someone I'll track it down next week.

can I eat my way out of this? So depressed.
    DOWN 475 , 72 on the VIX , down 8 days in a row never before happened. Iceland Is Melting & and I've got some praying to do.
    ~stoney

#32     Oct 10, 2008
  3. NLY $10.75 - $13.00

MOS $35 - $47

MET $27 - $41

PRGO $ 30 - $34

FCX $35 - $45

HBC $ 68 - $45.....

Well the family didn't want to talk to stoney for a few days but they are burning down the phone lines now!!! Yes that was me who prfedicted this move AND told you why it was going to happen.
    It was me down 400 on Friday who gave these picks out and now the poor brokers at Wackyovia who sat on their own funds despite my email primer will stew and stew today as I collect some outsized gains. True it pales to the amount lost this year. I know more prudent controls would of saved me. But alas all that option writing against positions LOL, well thank god we didn't do that. UPSIDE is one thing you never want to limit....And what of the hedge fund where I strong armed Freeport Mac in for their own good and a $10 gain... I'll wait and wait for a thank you but probably won't get one. Won't get an IPO either because they are none. In general I don't know why I do this. Non of you have commented on this thread either and I haven't looked but I imagine by stars are WAY to low... I took you from the depths of depression to the height of balls in, all in type investing, I rode the scared spine of mother market and made a few salient points along the way. Proving 3rd Time Was A Charm and making for a very good read. Good for me now what of today? ~stoney

#33     Oct 14, 2008
  4. No, you did not predict anything. We have a raft of UP! DOWN! people on this board in a number of instruments. They are naive. When it does what half of them say, they feel like geniuses. The other half is quiet.

This market is a gyrating tornado. No one knows where it will go or where it will be months from now.

Your brilliance was no more than being the one of many counting the beans in a jar. You were the lucky one, not the smart one.

Traders should trade the market's price action and stop prognosticating

#34     Oct 14, 2008
  5. TraderZone you ignorant fool.

I PREDICTED THREE DIFFERENT RISES OFF THE BOTTOM EACH SUCCESSFUL WITH DIAMONDS JUST OPEN YOUR DAMN EYES. FURTHERMORE I GAVE OUT NOT ONE NOT TWO BUT A S LOAD OF GREAT BUYS. WITH THE MARKET DOWN WE WERE IDENTIFYING SLIGHT DIVERGENCES WHICH GAVE US HOPE.
    AND JUDGING BY THE EMAILS I'M GETTING QUITE A FEW OUT THERE ARE DAMN HAPPY ABOUT EVERY CALL ON THIS THREAD. EVEN THE TIPS!!!!!!!!

If there is one thing I can't stand is soot nosed desk jocks who like to tell people not to predict. They oh so want you not to because THEY CAN'T DO IT! I catch bottoms AT BOTTOMS FOOLIO I get full % return while you chase and swing the day away. Man don't get me going Zone you should know better. I'm 100% fully invested my whole life is the market I don't use banks I'm on edge perhaps more than most. I try to show both sides of me- the fearful side wrestling with hop & dispair vs the I'll give it one more try side... I've been terribly hurt by your comments because is displays no concern for your fellow trader. In these difficult times try to rise above yahoo chat points and when someone with something valuable to say says something- listen.

Anyway lets wipe the slate clean and describe how investments are made on a daily basis. I began the day looking at LDK solar from there I was redirected to a Zacks piece which highlighted Jim Oberweis's feeling on solar at the bottom ofg that page was a anti oil play in nat gas- GMXR which he liked very much.

invest in natural gas. To be sure, gas is only half green; it also generates heat-trapping carbon dioxide, just a lot less than other fossil fuels. But gas is plentiful and proven. GMX Resources (47, GMXR ) is one of my favorite American natural gas exploration companies. It has acreage in the Haynesville Shale, a pool of energy in Louisiana and East Texas that could rival the famous Hugoton field of Kansas. GMX earned $1.63 a share in the last 12 months. I expect $3 for the next 12 months.....

This reminded me of a short squad in Canada who has a long on this name to I uncovered -

2008's bewildering market has even been tough for at least one high-profile bear.
    Considering the bleak outlook for many developed economies, it's no surprise that Canadian money manager Sprott Asset Management, wielding a negative view of the global economy, saw this year as the right time to make its Toronto stock market debut. Founder Eric Sprott has been a vocal bear for quite some time, and on the recent quarterly conference call -- Sprott's first as a public company -- he told analysts that the firm holds about C$1.5 billion in various short positions.

But it's the firm's exposure to commodities that may be weighing on it in recent weeks, as Sprott's U.S.-listed equity holdings are heavy into commodities and those sectors have fallen steeply from their highs. Sprott's Canadian debut has also proven underwhelming thus far. The stock slid lower on its first trading day and has so far not managed to close above its C$10 offering price.

IPO woes aside, Eric Sprott has been a shrewd money manager. The firm's flagship fund has returned 30% annually in the past five years, according to Bloomberg. While Sprott, which oversees several mutual funds and hedge funds, has exposure to many Canadian-listed firms, American investors may be interested in the various U.S.-listed equities it holds, many of them mining stocks.

By far, the largest U.S.-listed position in Sprott's portfolio is coal stock James River Coal (Nasdaq: JRCC - News), which Sprott was adding to during Q2.

Elsewhere, Sprott added stakes in gold miners New Gold (AMEX: NGD - News), Yamana Gold (NYSE: AUY - News), and Kinross Gold (NYSE: KGC - News), while trimming stakes in gold miners Golden Star Resources (AMEX: GSS - News) and Seabridge Gold (AMEX: SA - News). Sprott also OPENED A NEW STAKE in oil and natural gas exploration and production company GMX Resources (Nasdaq: GMXR - News) during the quarter....

So we have a short and a long both liking a name that is down from $70. What I like about GMXR myself is that they announced a shortfall in production due to a delay in start ups partially caused by these hurricanes and the stk went down only 2%. There is a little insider selling which worries me.

An analyst today defended the name I think it was stern age I'll track it down... so we have a triangulation of thought that has led me away from my initial choice today APWR * HIGHLIGHTED HERE AT $5!!!!!! but I did not buy I'm looking at that $7.15 area.... And I was looking at ENER & LDK but I have landed in natural gas... such is the way of the everyday investor.

My hedge fund is " back to hating everything " so that gives me some pause.... they currently only have one short term long in Nat Gas (means they think something is up) That stk I will research first to make sure it fits within the standards here at ET but it has three letters to it's symbol so I imagine it's on the NYSE..., oh F* it I'll just give it to you- SWN- Southwestern Something...

Anyway let me have the anger juice subside a bit from that Zoner who rained on my beautiful thread.... It's 3:30, do you know where your PLUNGE Protection team is????

It occurred to me that if they were in the market recently today might be the last day they have to buy anything. A basket buy on close here would give every indication of institution buying especially if it's not there!

~stoney

#35     Oct 14, 2008
  6. here's the Morgan Keegan piece- It's I think a typo the analyst did not cut Fly on the wall has it as a reinforcement as well.... The new outlook is the company provided outlook....

AP
    Analyst cuts forecast on GMX Resources
    Tuesday September 23, 2:02 pm ET
    Morgan Keegan analyst still bullish on GMX Resources' Haynesville field despite new outlook

NEW YORK (AP) -- A Morgan Keegan analyst said GMX Resources Inc.'s revised production forecast doesn't change his outlook on the natural gas company, since he still believes the Haynesville region can be a "huge" catalyst for the stock.

GMX Resources, which primarily explores and produces natural gas with its activities concentrated in east Texas, on Monday cut its 2008 production guidance to 13 billion cubic feet from a previous forecast range of 13 billion to 13.8 billion cubic feet.

The reduction is due to early delays in getting its horizontal drilling program going in the Haynesville/Bossier Shale acreage in east Texas and north Louisiana and some minor drilling slowdowns associated with hurricanes Gustav and Ike.

Analyst J. Michael Drickamer said the company is waiting on key materials and the delivery of a rig that was to occur in August which will now be delivered late in the fourth quarter.

"None of this changes our outlook," he wrote in a note to investors.

GMX Resources shares fell $1.08, or 2 percent, to $53.45 in Tuesday afternoon trading. The shares have ranged between $23.65 and $88.35 over the past year.

>> That's sept 23rd @ $53 today the stk is $30! has nat gas fallen that much? Overshoot much? Look at a chart and you will se a nice shelf at $40 where the stk should be in any normal downdraft... so there we have it $10 a share for you from me... now I have to strong arm GMXR into the account tomorrow unless APWR suddenly sweeps me off my feet and it may... These are my new ideas, few though they may be... I continue to hold lots of Synovis bank SNV and Perrigo Healthcare PRGO and Titan International, the big wheel people... as buys I made recently DURING THE
    BLOOD ON THE STREETS PHASE that are all up nicely... EWZ, the Brazillian ETF mentioned in this thread for $10 ALREADY!!!!!! Needs careful look see; I'm honest, I whiffed on that, even though it was a good chart set up- so I have an eye on Brazil now too.

peace. ~ stoney

#36     Oct 14, 2008
  7. Musta been some real mean green on October 8...

#37     Oct 14, 2008
  8. It was, it was my Cramer moment except rather than get everybody out of the market and into TBills, I got them back in a bit... and of course Erin wasn't there staring at me doe eyed... unfortunately. ~ stoney

#38     Oct 14, 2008
  9. When are you going to finish your novel ?!

#39     Oct 14, 2008
  10. I can't believe that you purport to be a trader after reading all your emotional b.s. and angry replies ! No way you can ever have a succcessful trading career with that defensive and ego-based personalty profile as you potray in your posting! If you have not already - get a day job. (and a good shrink)

#40     Oct 14, 2008