3rd party software, Ninja Trader / Multi charts/SmartQuant

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by ChrisMMM, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Call me naive, but that the software vendor steels my strategies is the last fear I have.
    First of all you need to know who makes money and who does not. Which might not be that easy to figure out. Otherwise you will have to check every single custom strategy of every user. Besides that, people use custom DLLs within their strategies, you have to get them, too. With a couple of hundred users you can imagine the time effort that goes into this. And you still do not know if there is a single client making money with his strategies. But you are exposing your company and yourself to highest risks - if you get caught, you are out of business forever and might end up in jail. So you risk everything, where the outcome is unsure.
    There are a lot of tools freely available to monitor your network traffic up to every single packet, so you can have a detailed look of what goes out. Be assured that there are people out there you take the time to do so (from time to time I am such a person :D ) and if there is only the slightest point of concern you will read about it - most probably here on ET.

Some time ago I have looked at Multicharts network traffic - not for the fear of them stealing my software, but for curiosity and I have found nothing to worry about (and I will check that randomly from time to time^^). But please go ahead and double-check for yourself, only to be sure. And you can still let your firewall block software from phoning home.

Having said that, I will give you something to really worry about ;). If you have the fear that the software vendors steal your software, you have to fear broker's hunting for it, too. Wouldn't make sense if you don't.
    And they don't even have to bother about getting it from your computer, they just place their trades in front of yours, once you send your order. And they even know if you are profitable or not, so it's quite an easy game for them. You can't even proof if something like this happens - scary isn't it :eek:.

#11     Dec 4, 2007
  2. I ain't worried about it @ all anymore... if there is no connection, then there is no way to transfer the code

#12     Dec 4, 2007