3D printing.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Debaser82, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Keep in mind that even though they are resin parts, they can be used to make injection molds etc for mass production. But, there are companies where you can upload them a CAD file and they will send you prototypes.

So, I think the main barrier is just getting good libraries of open-source objects and gaining facility with the software. It is very cool stuff but I don't think I'm getting a machine anytime soon.

#11     Mar 2, 2012
  2. There are printers that can print in metal. They even use them to print custom titanium prosthetics for hip replacements and cranial reconstructions. they even have one that prints using stem cells at Wake Forest… they use it to build bladders for transplants.
    There are many types of 3d printers that can handle many materials but each type can handle 1 type of material. The killer app comes when someone makes A printer that can use 5 or 6 different materials, at that point the consumer downloads a file and prints an iPhone from scratch… how long before that happens? That's $1.75 question.

#12     Mar 2, 2012
  3. hughb

hughb

Just bought DDD @ 34.18 today. It's been on my radar since it made a new high during the week ending 6/1/2012. The average volume has increased this year too.

#13     Jul 16, 2012
  4. Eight

Eight

Not really, short production runs [maybe in the hundreds of units] are being done with this technology. They can build stuff with metal and resins and all sorts of stuff. It's just like the days when CNC came on the scene. This could indeed bring manufacturing to our shores, albeit not with a lot of commensurate employment. America has a big advantage in having lots of natural gas and if we actually learned quality and manufactured our stuff we might pull out of the doldrums.

#14     Jul 16, 2012
  5. Airbus CEO expects to be able to print entire planes by 2050 I read somewhere.

#15     Jul 16, 2012
  6. morganist

morganist Guest

Not in one piece I hope that would be a tall task indeed.

#16     Jul 16, 2012
  7. In 35 years you'll probably be able to print at both the nano and the mega scales…
    Airplanes, houses, aspirin, kidneys… at the pace the tech is evolving anything will be possible

#17     Jul 16, 2012
  8. #18     Jul 16, 2012
  9. lindq

lindq

Wasn't there a TV show a few years ago called "Designing Women"?

Hmmm. Just thinking.

#19     Jul 16, 2012
  10. print me new ass,sitting here all day daytrading:D

#20     Jul 17, 2012