35 year horizon - what would you hold?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Shimu, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Shimu

Shimu

I'm a Canadian who is managing an RDSP - an account for disability savings. I don't plan to actively manage the portfolio and only buy and hold for the very long term, 35-40 years. What would be ideal for long term growth prospects?

Thanks.

2. SPY, UN, PG.

3. JTrades

JTrades

4. Jakobsberg

Jakobsberg

Greece :) May have recovered by then.
    Otherwise I'd go for Euro index. Cheaper than US and couple of years behind in the cycle.

MadeMan likes this.
  5. Handle123

Handle123

Health related stocks of USA since Baby Boomers needing physical management, assisted living companies. Food companies, even when economies do poorly, people still have to eat, dividend stocks like addictive products. In next few years, looking for markets to take huge retracement, so being aggressive not be good idea and be more defensive, if you do Notes, short term way to go like two years.

6. qxr1011

qxr1011

do not fool yourself (or others ), if you managing portfolio - you have to mange portfolio
    actively,

there is no such thing as passive management (its called mismanagement) and as a result you will get disability portfolio for disability savings....

Visaria likes this.
  7. Probably buy HST Host Hotels. Owns some of the best hotels in the world on the best land in the world. Those great locations only get more valuable and don't face obsolescence.

8. clacy

clacy

If you truly don't want to provide any management then I would look at VBINX or something similar. That's Vanguard's 60/40 stock/bond balanced mutual fund.

Or you could look at a small portfolio of mutual funds (google lazy portfolios to do some research), but you'll at least have to go in and re-balance once per year or so.

Don't hold single stocks, IMO. Buying stocks relies on stock picking talent, or luck and timing. You may not have either of those.

9. zdreg

zdreg

long yuan

Visaria likes this.
  10. Shimu

Shimu

I was wondering if I'd be better served picking an index tracking ETF like VOO than pick stocks because of the inherent difficulty in stock picking. I'm not entirely sure if I'm even as good as the average investor out there.

It would certainly be hard for an average Joe like me to predict a global stock market crash to sell in time, hence, the preference to buy and hold. While I'm technically at a small profit in my high risk speculative investments in China, that tiny portion of my portfolio is more for fun and learning than real money making. I doubt I'll be green at the end of the year.

#10     Jul 18, 2015