30 inch Dell Will this work on my computer.....HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gimp570, Mar 18, 2008.

1. An alternative for those with old cards...buy 2 22" lcds and mount them vertically, more area than a 30" & much cheaper. nVidia cards will allow screen rotation.

#21     Mar 19, 2008
  2. gnome

gnome

Incorrect. "Dual Link" and "Dual Monitor" are not at all related nor have anything in common. "Dual Link" is for connecting 2 video cards via a "bridge".. in such a way that they will power 1 monitor... a high-end video [for gaming] application.

#22     Mar 19, 2008
  3. jho

jho

gnome,

I could be wrong but I believe dual link is just the DVI connection on your video card, like my cards for example ... 7600GT KO's have 2 DVI connections, 1 of which is a dual link. I think you're referring to Nvidia's SLI and ATI's Crossfire.

#23     Mar 19, 2008
  4. gnome

gnome

Likely NOT a good idea...

1. "Old" video cards likely don't support 1680x1050 resolution.

2. The "viewing angle" of 22" LCDs is pitiful enough when viewed in "normal" horizontal mode. When rotated to vertical, much worse.

Suggest biting the bullet and getting appropriate video card and monitors rather than trying to "cheap your way through".

#24     Mar 19, 2008
  5. gnome

gnome

Not being a gamer, I'm not 100% sure about this... however...

"Dual link" is all about connecting 2 video cards together to harness both of their capabilities to run one monitor. SLI and Crossfire are "dual link" concepts/applications... it takes 2 cards, connected by a "bridge" cable and appropriate software to make both of them power 1 monitor at a higher frame rate.

Dual Monitor support is totally different.

#25     Mar 19, 2008
  6. I think you are referring to SLI on nvidia hardware, dual link is the bandwith of the connector.

my old geforce4 mx 64 MB supports that resolution no problem. i believe anything under 32mb of ram won't do it however.

#26     Mar 19, 2008
  7. jho

jho

Perhaps we have different lingo? I've never heard anyone refer to Sli or Crossfire as dual-link.

My EVGA 7600GT KO can power a Dell 30" by itself. All you need is a newer video card that has one dual-link dvi port.

#27     Mar 19, 2008
  8. gnome

gnome

Oops.. I guess my wife IS right.. I really don't know sh*t. I've thought "dual link" was the generic term for "SLI and Crossfire"...

Please disregard my comments... Gomen.

#28     Mar 19, 2008
  9. Which PC configuration is needed to run 4x 30inch monitors on one PC, 2 +2 above?

#29     Mar 19, 2008
  10. jho

jho

You could get 2 video cards with 2 dual-link connectors. Something like the EVGA E-GeForce 8800GT. Make sure you have 2 pci-e x16 slots on your motherboard.

#30     Mar 19, 2008