30 Bonds 1/2Tick

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by FarmerTed, Apr 30, 2008.

1. I hate the reduced tick size BUT in defense of the CME the banks made them do it. Cantor etal have traded Bonds in 64ths for years and the basis guys were sick of being jammed in back of the full tick queue.

Keep in mind the looming "Four Seasons Exchange" which undoubtedly will trade in reduced ticks. Hell there's many clowns who'd like to see Bonds trade in decimals. I bet one day it happens.

#21     Jun 12, 2008
  2. ""Hell there's many clowns who'd like to see Bonds trade in decimals. I bet one day it happens."" [/B][/QUOTE]

please dont say that. dont ever say that

seat prices still dropping as book size is thining out. It feels like big players are giving up the interest rate trade.

#22     Jun 18, 2008
  3. please dont say that. dont ever say that

seat prices still dropping as book size is thining out. It feels like big players are giving up the interest rate trade. [/B][/QUOTE]

Look at the bund/bobl/schatz.

-lc

#23     Jun 18, 2008
  4. "seat prices still dropping as book size is thining out"

Seat prices have certainly declined from last summer's highs, but it's not entirely accurate to say they are dropping.
    Was the book ever that thick?

AMs have taken a hit but there has been no rush to sell them, no panic sellers to speak of.
    As for the full memberships:
    B-1(Full with ERP) last traded at $775k
    B-1(Full without ERP) traded yesterday at $575 -the low was $400k
    I wouldn't be surprised if prices go lower, but in my opinion they have found, or are near a bottom for the time being.

#24     Jun 19, 2008
  5. Look at the bund/bobl/schatz.
    [/B][/QUOTE]

Bobl used to be pretty good,went a bit too automated,then half-tick ruined it.

Schatz used to be awesome(many,many years ago),half-tick changed the game,now it is a bunch of bullshit.

Bund is just bullshit,will probably go half-tick then it is adios bunds for good,I mean it only did 660K yesterday - shameful.

But don't say any of this on the Eurex forum,the handful of posters there are really defensive.

#25     Jun 19, 2008
  6. CBOT simply lost the control of its cash cow, after the CME Group merger: the interest rate complex -- and the half tick added more pain.

#26     Jun 19, 2008
  7. When markets get the tick halved they just become thinner and swing further,this happened recently and quite drastically in Short Sterling futures,also in BOBL,now in 30yrs.

It wasn't necessarily easier but you get used to the movement and momentum almost by second nature and then the dynamics of the whole market change.

#27     Jun 19, 2008
  8. Forget about the Bund altogether. That market is completely owned by ATS (Automated Trading Systems). If your game is there, and you keep your rules and discipline in check you can trade any market. I would take a look at Energy (Crude Oil) or Metals (Gold). They are extremely volatile and still hold 'point and click' opportunities.

#28     Jun 25, 2008
  9. Completely agreed. There is no more banging the 30yr for a tick off the 10yr correlation. Way too much 'whip' action. As an example, if you've watched it long enough you'll know what I'm talking about: the 30yr will move 10 ticks either way, and before you know it, you're sitting there thinking "How did they just get there?" There were no opportunities to get in as a point and click scalper. Right there is your proof that it has become more of a position trade, yet there are still tough shake outs to deal with. That is why I suggest a new product for the time being.

#29     Jun 25, 2008
  10. The slippage in the new 30 yr is a big downer for the position trade, for those that use stops.

#30     Jun 25, 2008