30 Bonds 1/2Tick

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by FarmerTed, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Not a chance that this is or could be the case.

You really only need to trade 1000 contracts per side for the Entire Month for a lease to be beneficial.

#11     May 6, 2008
  2. The volume seems to have picked back up in the us treasuries.

Does anyone still think there is a chance the cme takes the bonds back to full ticks and the 5 year back to half ticks?

These reduced ticks are no fun, I don't know how much longer I can handle these swings.

#13     Jun 7, 2008
  3. 'Unfortunately' this is not a great news...they will keep the current status as long as volume over time keeps up with their plans. they did the cut tick for cash reasons, not to let retail traders enjoy their $31.25 on 1 lot trade.

#14     Jun 9, 2008
  4. Just curious how many bond traders out there have pretty much given up trading the after the move to 1/2 tics. Are you still successfully scalping them?

As for me, since the move to 1/2 tics, I have tried trading the S&P (for about 2 months) and also the Bund (for 1 month). I was not successful at trading the S&P and the Bund I just about broke even. Now I am back to the 30 year only because I have the best rates here.

For those who have moved on since the move to 1/2 tics, have you tried trading any other markets? Have you had success?

I am just looking for a market that has similar price action as the bonds did when they were full ticks.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

#15     Jun 9, 2008
  5. Urkel

Urkel

I know a few of successful 30 year scalpers who have moved to the 10 year maybe you should give the ten year a shot.

#16     Jun 11, 2008
  6. I went to the ten year,,,, watch your round turns go through the roof

#17     Jun 12, 2008
  7. Cesko

Cesko

You guys are talking about difficulty of trading bonds after cutting ticks in half. My question is in what way it used to be easier? Are bonds more difficult than 10 year notes?
    I started trading 10 year notes not long ago and it's a breeze comparing to index futures.
    Second I wonder if politics behind reducing the tick in half could be getting rid off floor traders. What do you think? (Not an expert here). Thanks

#18     Jun 12, 2008
  8. I only trade 10 years note; everything is fine here; and i find the volume is up a lot.

#19     Jun 12, 2008
  9. It is not that the 30 year use to be an easier trade, it was just different. The swings were not as drastic, it was a more controlled trade. Although I guess that statement could be applied to any market these days.

Some traders I know like the 30 year trade now. It sometimes plays levels very nice. I think now it is more of a position trade market rather than a scalpers market.

#20     Jun 12, 2008