3+ Monitor set up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tony Montana, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Farside

Farside

I just looked at the user manual for the 9200 series on the ATI website, the catalyst software appears to operate the same way as it does on the 9600 series.

#41     Oct 17, 2005
  2. gnome

gnome

:D :D :D

OK, I'm not being clear. It's not the Catalyst software alone... it's also whether the video card has 2 graphics chips... one for each port. (The alternative is that the card has only one graphic chip which runs both ports.) I just looked at the specs on the ATI site and I could not determine for sure the 9250's status on this issue.

#42     Oct 17, 2005
  3. Farside

Farside

I only looked at the product information pdf's for the 9600 & 9200 series. The catalyst software seems to let you adjust the RGB, brightness and gamma for each monitor separately, just like on the 9600 that I have. I'm looking to add 2 additional monitors, so I want to be able to set them up the same way. It looks like I will be able to, according to the product manual.

Thanks for your help!! :D :D

#43     Oct 17, 2005
  4. gnome

gnome

We're still not connecting here. While Catalyst says you can adjust "RGB, brightness, and gamma for each monitor separately"... that would apply ONLY IF there were a separate graphic chip for each port. If there is only one chip, catalyst will still support all it says it will, but the *card* you are using may not.

I hope you are right. I've got a dualhead card but can adjust gamma on only one port.... that's because my video card has only one chip to run both ports.

Maybe it would be a good idea for you to post results after you get all 4 monitors hooked up. It would be good to know of a multi-card solution where gamma adjustment is available for all ports.

#44     Oct 17, 2005
  5. Farside

Farside

I just spoke to ATI...apparently the 9250 that ATI makes is only a single display card. However Diamond and Sapphire both make this card as a dual display card (it's called "Powered by ATI") So the 9250 which is made by Sapphire or Diamond will have individual control of each port.

#45     Oct 17, 2005
  6. gnome

gnome

1. "Individual control" does not infer there will be a gamma adjustment for each port.

2. I HIGHLY recommend you DO NOT use any 3rd party cards in a multi card setup... not Sapphire, HIS, Powercolor, etc. Be sure to use only ATI branded cards... driver conflicts can be very messy.

#46     Oct 17, 2005
  7. Yes. You are going to be limited as to speed by the PCI bus. There is one bus that all the PCI slots share, like a housing development with one two-lane road into it. You might have problems with data rate during high volume periods, such as 9:30 a.m.

#47     Nov 2, 2005
  8. JayS

JayS

#48     Nov 2, 2005
  9. gnome

gnome

You had better ask the card maker on that. DVI-D will only work with a digital card. If your card works off a dongle which could run either VGA or DVI, it could be it's DVI-I, and might not work with your monitors. And as I think about this more, it seems it should work anyway. But if you don't already have the card, might be good idea to ask the card maker in advance.

#49     Nov 2, 2005
  10. igum

igum

I now have 4 monitors on my laptop! I used a pcmcia card called VTBOOK. With that I have 2 19" monitors hooked up, then I have my 1600x1080 laptop screen, plus another 19" monitor on the laptop monitor port.

How's that for leveraging a laptop for daytrading?

#50     Nov 3, 2005