3 minute push up challenge

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Clubber Lang, Feb 3, 2017.

1. http://www.military.com/military-fitness/workouts/pushup-challenge

Anyone incorporate this into their workout? I started alternating this into my routine about 3 years ago.

I'm usually in the 88-95 range. Best ever was 106, but that was an outlier as I've only broken 100 a handful of times.

I've always been a hard gainer with my chest and as I've gotten older my shoulder joints sometimes rebel against heavy presses so this is a great way to crush the chest without flaring up my joints.

Some of you animals can probably get into the 1-teens!
    Post your numbers
    Good luck!

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I am definitely going to try this next week and just see where I'm at. In general, I'm not a very strong person, and chest is one of my weakest body parts, but I'm curious just to see where I stand. If were to bet on it, I'd say I'm in the average zone of 55 to 74.

3. I've seen your pics brother, no way are you "in the average zone" of anything.

The key to the test is to never go to failure before a short rest.
    After a few times trying it, I guarantee your 4th time will be 15-20 more than your 1st because you find the proper rep/rest groove.

4. Nereto

Nereto

The real question is - how much can you bench brah?

5. panzerman

panzerman

I have never timed it, but I would guess 250-300. I am doing 1000 pushups today. 100 every hour.

6. fan27

fan27

I only got to 47. On the bright side, I have a lot of upside :)

7. Good job on your first try fan27z

Did you go to failure before resting?
    That's a no-no
    Go until you start to tire and then rest 12-15 seconds and repeat. Going to failure will keep your numbers down.

I bet you hit 60+ before February is over.
    Keep it up!

fan27 likes this.
  8. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Ok, just did my first attempt and I got 83. That was harder than I thought it was going to be, especially that last minute!

9. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I've had outlier days as well in the gym and I've always wondered what the magic formula was behind that level of performance. I mean, it's awesome to have that type of day but it sucks to never be able to get there again no matter how hard you try.

I guess it's just a combination of all the right factors like good sleep, plenty of glycogen stores from eating carbs the day before, high testosterone from eating red meat, etc.

And maybe having lingering things on your mind that make you angry could actually help create a super strong day as well.

10. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I don't know because I don't have a bench and straight bar in my home gym. I only have dumbbells. I usually do bench presses with 90lb dumbbells, and I can get somewhere between 15 - 20 reps with that. I can't even remember the last time I tried a one rep max lift of any kind.

#10     Feb 5, 2017