3 days in the hospital...35,000

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AK Forty Seven, Nov 22, 2011.

1. siki13

siki13

So , if i am a tourist visiting America , any health problem and i could end up
    being bankrupt? (of course if i have 100k laying around i am good to go)
    Any foreigners have a say about this?

#11     Nov 24, 2011
  2. I sense another bubble bursting, and revolts against "the system".

#12     Nov 24, 2011
  3. Hooti

Hooti

get the profit model out of health care all together.

I've understood it is one quater to one third of our total economy. Making profit off peoples pain.
    ... and is the reason common sense preventive is discouraged, and insurance and pharmacy want your corner health store closed.

Some religions view insurance as gambling....
    Not sure about that, but something is wrong with the system applied to healthcare.

#13     Nov 24, 2011
  4. How do you pay for research?

When profitablilty shits the bed in the corporate world, the first budget cut is research.

What's the profitability of mal practice insurers?

#14     Nov 24, 2011
  5. Prevention is the cheapest insurance there is. :D

Regular exercise, healthy low fat lifestyle

#15     Nov 24, 2011
  6. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

At least one thread where I am happy to be french...As a snowboarder, skateboarder, soccer player, I had multiple fractures and surgeries along the years with the usual 5-7 days in hospital for surgeries( 4 surgeries, 5 casts if I am right...) , I don't recall one time when me or my parents had to pay something substantial( > 500 $)... Oh well, I will be paying 58% taxes this year( and it's the last ).

#16     Nov 24, 2011
  7. Now I realize why Americans spend billions overseas in Medical Care. If you have to ask how much this is going to cost you likely cant afford it. My buddy owns a construction company and flew to thailand for his surgery, had a 10k deductibile. Whole thing cost $6k including 2 weeks rehab and daily sponge baths from a nurse. Airfare everything. We need Walmart to come in and squeeze the inefficiencies out of health care. There is an obvious lack of productivity in the health care field, sounds like opportunity for someone who figures it out. Very similar to the education system at the university level. How a hospital can ever charge a million bucks for health care needs to an individual or now we have over 127 colleges charging more than $50k pr yr for education, these industries are woefully unproductive and inefficient. Simply throwing more resources at them results in diminishing returns. Glad your ok Ak, Happy Thanksgiving folks

#17     Nov 24, 2011
  8. Mvector

Mvector

Not until the consumer is DIRECTLY involved with the cost of their own health care it will never be efficient.

#18     Nov 24, 2011
  9. Hooti

Hooti

Research will be done anyway.... that argument is put out there by the greedy. Is that all people are?

All the same, research will be funded. The system just needs balance and regulation. Greenspan says now that he was wrong when he bought into the idea the market would self ballance. You can't just let the rich run over everyone. They buy the 'truth' and arguments we hear... like it's necessary for research to be done at all.
    The balance thing, That is one way of looking at why are whole financial system has failed.
    I think it is that simple in concept. And applies to both health care and the larger financial picture. Correcting the system isn't so easy tho.

#19     Nov 25, 2011
  10. The insurers want high healthcare costs so's you's has to buy thier insuranze duh :D

#20     Nov 25, 2011