3.3V computer voltage at 2.6-2.8

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daal, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Catoosa

Catoosa

My PC repair manuals say power supply voltages should be within 5% of nominal to meet specification standards. Out of spec voltages can sometimes cause hardware damage or data corruption. I have had to replace several power supplies over the years when I had problems as you did. It is an easy fix.

#11     Apr 20, 2009
  2. Catoosa

Catoosa

I have had two Antec power supplies go out of spec (the first one was still in warranty and its replacement also went out of spec after its warranty had expired). I replaced the Antec with an Enermax which was about 2% out of spec when I received it. I am still running the out of spec Enermax without any noticeable problems. I think any power supply is likely to fail or go out of spec at any time. I also like and purchase the three brands you suggest.

#12     Apr 20, 2009
  3. But did you buy a higher watt PSU or just standard replacement?

#13     Apr 20, 2009
  4. Daal

Daal

I had a 500W, bought a 450W, was told 500's are no longer produced

#14     Apr 20, 2009
  5. A simple way to test this is to simply test the 3.3V lines that come out of the supply with no load (using a voltmeter). This will eliminate the board as a potential problem.

I had a supply blow out and die on a power surge (surge protector didn't help worth %$).

#15     Apr 20, 2009
  6. pupu

pupu

I had a similar issue; sudden shut offs and pc failing to start. I first thought it was the power switch. One day it wouldn't start no more.
    tested it with the ps from my backup pc and it started so I order a new ps.

All went away once I changed the ps. 3rd in 2 years. hopefully this one will last. Got a decent brand and advanced model this time.

#16     Apr 20, 2009
  7. 500W power supplies are readily available. Not a good idea to replace a 500W power supply with a 450W. If you couldn't get a 500W you should have gotten a 550W or higher.

#17     Apr 20, 2009
  8. I didn't know you could do that just upgrade more power, good to know. I am running 2 monitors off a 300watt for 2 years! Ouch:eek: I will start looking around. I don't think they are more than $50.

#18     Apr 20, 2009
  9. JA_LDP

JA_LDP

your monitors have nothing to do with your psu. they run off external power. your video card is what gets power supplied from the psu.

#19     Apr 21, 2009
  10. Yes thank you. I actually do know that, but a flub on my part. I just run a Matrox G200 so I should be good, but for a few bucks a PSU with more juice might be worth it. So far it's been fine though.

#20     Apr 21, 2009