2nd Monitor Splitter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KevinK, Aug 1, 2005.

1. KevinK

KevinK Guest

Hey Everyone,
    I think I saw here once that you can plug a splitter into your monitor spot to run 2 monitors off of it. If anyone has seen this on Newegg or any other site, please link it to me. Also, how has it worked?

thanks in advance,
    KK

2. gnome

gnome

You can't run a splitter off of just any video card. The driver and card will have to support it. Some video cards have a dongle which splits for 2 or 4 monitors by design. There are "dualhead" cards with ports for 2 monitors without a splitter.

3. KevinK

KevinK Guest

I am terrible with computers, and I was wondering if you could reccomend a video card for my operating system (XP) that would allow me to run another monitor off of it for a reasonable price?

thanks so much,
    KK

4. gnome

gnome

How much do you want to spend? Do you want to "game" with it also? What kind of system board do you have? (AGP, or integrated video, or PCIe?)

5. KevinK

KevinK Guest

I'm willing to spend like $100-270, and I would like to play online poker and stream horse races not like counter strike games though.

6. gnome

gnome

Solutions start at about $25-$30 and go up depending upon how much horsepower you want and what type of systemboard is in your PC.

What brand and model is your PC?

7. KevinK

KevinK Guest

It's a Dell Dimension 8200, if that doesn't help...where can I check my systemboard...is there a program or site?

thanks again

8. gnome

gnome

I already know that. I have an 8250, so you likely have an AGP card. Check the back plate of the computer and see if there are 2 plug-in ports for a monitor on the video card. You might already have what you want.

9. KevinK

KevinK Guest

i do not have 2 plugins..

10. gnome

gnome

You probably have an Nvidia GeForce MX 420 video card. Check that for me, and we'll go from there...

Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager...the click on Display Adapters and it will tell you.

#10     Aug 1, 2005