2nd job for traders?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by hjkl, Jun 19, 2005.

1. It ain't that easy unless you wanna do some BS home marketing or cold calling from home.

Best recommendation is to wait tables or bartend (if you got connects). It's active work which can help the vegetation of day trading.

#11     Jun 20, 2005
  2. Nutzo

Nutzo

WOW.......I did'nt know you needed "connections" to wait tables:confused:

Do you think I'll have a shot for a hostess postion?

#12     Jun 20, 2005
  3. do mortgages ...find a firm that will let you cold call at night 6pm on and fill out the paperwork after 2

im sure you know someone in the morgage biz...everyone is in that game now a days

or become a real estate broker

#13     Jun 20, 2005
  4. toc

toc

If you have some energy then get a truck driver's license, hook the truck with satellite and put a laptop on the dash board. Drive around and when signal pops in, pull over to the shoulder and put the trade via internet.

I was thinking of doing this 4 years ago, my problem is I do not like to drive even the car for 2 hours straight. However, driving stuff might work for position trading etc. I nearly traded a few systems with a truck driver in exchange for him giving me free hands on lessons on the truck.

#14     Jun 20, 2005
  5. Ebo

Ebo

#15     Jun 20, 2005
  6. Chagi

Chagi

Yup, and even if you don't want to do a job that focuses entirely on outbound calls, there are many call center jobs doing customer service that you can work at part-time/half-time in the evenings (assuming that there are call centers near where you live). Pay isn't all that great depending on who you work for and what you do, but it can be a good source of supplementary income. I'm fortunate enough to be at the higher end of the scale while I'm in Uni, since you can't exactly train Joe Blow in 2 hours to service mortgages, whereas you could in fact do so for, say, pizzas.

There is a pretty good chance that I will be doing exactly this once I'm done University (assuming that I have built up a large enough trading account), trading mornings/afternoons then working evenings for a stable source of income while I'm learning.

#16     Jun 20, 2005
  7. Who would you buy your satellite internet from?

#17     Jun 20, 2005
  8. To bartend at a place you will actually make smth reasonable you do need connects. Maybe in the boonies it don't matter but in major cities and shores, if you're a guy they won't even look at your resume unless you know someone.

#18     Jun 20, 2005
  9. How do you know these things?

#19     Jun 20, 2005
  10. I've worked in the service industry since 1997, in NYC since 2000. Waiter, bartender & bar back.
    It's a good way to compliment going to school, being an actor/model/dancer, being a trader or just earning some extra cash. I know a few traders that worked as waiters while putting in their dues and turning profitable. I've done it for a couple months myself during my first year of trading.
    I actually would not mind doing some bartending again instead of my 25/hour side job cause I'm sick of sitting in front of the computer and want to be more active. Plus being a bartender in a good spot is an easy way to get some good pu$$y. The service industry in general is full of hot & easy girls (or guys if thats your game).
    The key is getting into a decent place where the money is good and the management is not completely psychotic and sadistic. This requires some legwork, connections or luck. Any place that is regularly hiring, well there are good reasons for that.

#20     Jun 21, 2005