$25,000 minimum for daytrading needs to be changed

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Nostradamus357, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Handle123

Handle123

I might be wrong, but I think "they" passed this rule cause folks were getting shot inside brokerages. Those who are underfunded tend to be more emotional about losing money and often find out their fantasy of easily going to make profits are a bit tougher than they envisioned. We now live in a world that so many don't have the balls to say it was their own fault as to why they lost and rather blame it on someone else, like the brokerage they were trading at. I think the rule is good, it forces many who shouldn't really be trading as in underfunded to either save up or look to trade in a longer term fashion till they acquire more experience.

My experiences have shown me that underfunded traders often can't purchase data to do backtesting, lack backtesting skills, and have read a couple books and have no real trading skills. I detest hearing so many lose all there money repeatedly cause some vendor sold them a bunch of lies and fantasies.

#11     Jan 26, 2011
    beginner66 likes this.
  2. I heard it was the DTCC as well. However, with HFTs and such, that argument means nothing. HFTs can place thousands in a day and people with less than 25k can't do 4 in one week. You know, maybe that guy who said he was going to shoot up the SEC went over board, but it's hard not to understand where he's coming from sometimes. These regulators really are a mess.

#12     Jan 26, 2011

3. Then why do they allow option and future trades? If they were worried about under-funded traders they would implement a $25,000 minimum on ALL trading accounts.

#13     Jan 26, 2011
  4. there's so many things wrong with what you just said idk where to start with you. Maybe you're drunk.....?

#14     Jan 26, 2011
  5. pma

pma

+1

#15     Jan 26, 2011
  6. Taking on huge leverage is not the answer. If you have a 20k account, even if you swing trade 4 round trips in a 5 day period is NOTHING

#16     Jan 26, 2011
  7. it should be raised to 50,000 actually since 25,000 is nothing now for a pattern day trading account.

#17     Jan 26, 2011
  8. I used to think your name was a joke.

#18     Jan 26, 2011
  9. Yes, the PDT needs to be raised. It's has saved much heartache and loss from the gambler class. If you don't gave the chips stay out of the game.

#19     Jan 26, 2011
  10. I don't buy this. While I would agree that underfunded traders normally (but not always) lack a certain understanding of markets/trading, they should be able to spend their money any way they want. I don't know anything about speedboats, but if I want to spend all of my money on one, I can.

There may be other viable reasons for the minimum $25K, but simply to protect the trader from wasting money on something because they are "undereducated" is total BS.

#20     Jan 26, 2011